Natural Birth
Options

Intro & Question

Hi Ladies!

I've lurked on ocassion, and have been trying my best to navigate my multiples pregnancy to set myself up for a natural, vaginal birth.  My Mo/Di twin boys are due in January but we expect to see them at the end of December and hopefully not any sooner.  I'm partnered with a CNM practice and MFM that does all u/s and serves as the CNM's 24/7 on-call OB (he'll be 'hovering' during my L&D due to it being multiples regardless).  My only restrictions for L&D the way I want is Baby A's position and no tub for me... not even for labor, but I am allowed to use the shower.

All that being said, I am starting to lose what I call my 'mental game' for a natural birth.  As much as I love my CNM practice I feel like they don't want to talk about anything 'negative' in their eyes but what they don't know is that I feel empowered by knowledge.  So even though it may seem negative, I really do feel the need to know more about emergency situations and C-sections, esp. if one of both babies decides to be difficult or has a complication.  By not knowing or feeling educated about the 'what if' situations I am starting to doubt myself and the process.  To the point my CNM gave me a pep-talk at my ~ 29w appt... I must look lost from my facial expressions or something.

I've read Ina May's book, Birthing from Within, a few different Bradley related books, but I still don't feel prepared.  DH is very supportive and wants a natural birth for the boys as well as my own birthing experience.

I know this is very much so a mental preparation exercise, does anyone have anything that has worked or is working well for them to mentally prepare that I may not be thinking of or doing?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Intro & Question

• Options

I do not know if you can every be prepared for everything that can happen during L&D and it is probably even harder when you are expecting multiples. Maybe your CNM does not want to talk about negative things because she feels like it would scare you or upset you? Maybe you should tell her that you would like to discuss these things so that you feel more comfortable with what could happen. 

For me I did not want to know certain things because I thought not knowing is better.  I never asked or cared about the process or side effects of an epi because I was not going to get one.  I also  never talked  about assistance with forceps or a vacuum because I did not want them used.  My OB was OK with that but I also stayed home for as long as possible and overall had a very quick labor. 

The big thing that I did to prepare for my L&D was to get mentally ready for a NB.  The Bradley classes were a big help but I also told myself that birth would be hard and it would be painful but it was pain with a purpose.  This way I  was not shocked when contractions hurt.  If you go in knowing it is going to be hard and realistic expectations then you can do it.  The other thing is to have supportive people around you.  If everyone is telling how great you are doing then you believe it!

GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"