February 2013 Moms
Options

Carb loading before 3 hour Glucose test?

Was anyone told to carb load for three days prior to the 3 hour test?  At first, it made no sense to me.  I've been reading about this all morning and it seems that by carb loading prior to the 3 hour test, it prepares your body to break down the glucose drink as it should. 
image">

image"">
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Re: Carb loading before 3 hour Glucose test?

• Options

?? My OB didn't say anything, but some of the stuff I read online (from good sources, not blogs) specifically said to eat what you usually do and don't cut out carbs. I would assume the same would go for carb loading. Unless you're going to continue eating that way for the rest of the pregnancy, of course, and then you should do it.

I know it's tempting to try to help yourself "pass" the test, but really, you're not doing anyone a favor. Eat normally, follow your dr's instructions on fasting if necessary, and then see what the results are. GD is no fun, but having it go undiagnosed because you purposely messed with your diet in the days before the test could lead to serious problems for you and LO.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    imagekelly321:

?? My OB didn't say anything, but some of the stuff I read online (from good sources, not blogs) specifically said to eat what you usually do and don't cut out carbs. I would assume the same would go for carb loading. Unless you're going to continue eating that way for the rest of the pregnancy, of course, and then you should do it.

I know it's tempting to try to help yourself "pass" the test, but really, you're not doing anyone a favor. Eat normally, follow your dr's instructions on fasting if necessary, and then see what the results are. GD is no fun, but having it go undiagnosed because you purposely messed with your diet in the days before the test could lead to serious problems for you and LO.

Agreed.  And there's no way that carb loading will help you pass.  It could skew the results either way. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree....follow the doctors instructions.  I was told drink the drink and come in 1 hr later for blood and don't eat within that 1 hr.  That's it.  I really think people over think the whole test.  You will either pass or fail regardless of what you eat and quite frankly why would you want to trick the test if you actually have GD??  Don't you want to know so everyone including the doctor is aware of the condition and possible issues with pregnancy and your baby??
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I just failed my 3hr GTT.  I only failed 1 of the 3 hourly draws after the sugar-drink and it was only by 7 points. 

I am diagnosed with GD diabetes because I had extremely elevated sugar levels at my fasting draw (in addition to failing the other draw).

I don't see how loading up on carbs 3 days prior to the test is going to help you pass it?

BabyFruit Ticker

06.10.12 +HPT 06.12.12 Beta #1 = 2,770 06.14.12 Beta #2 = 6,300
    1st U/S 06.18.12 2nd U/S 06.25.12
    09.24.12 It's a Boy!! ---> Jacob Owen

Our IF Journey Began: October 2009
    **8 Failed IUI's, 1 Blighted Ovum, & 1 Failed IVF**
    Dx: MFI, DOR w/MTHFR Homozygous A1298C & Hypothyroidism
    03.2012 Lab Results: FSH 6.83 AMH 0.67 TSH 3.8 E2 17
    SA 156 million 93% motility 3% morphology

Follow Me on Pinterest
    **~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~**
  • Options

Isn't it interesting how different doctors proceed with this test so differently?  My original post wasn't meant to suggest that I was trying to trick the test.  I was just curious as to whether people had been advised to carb load by their doctors.  It seems to be a relatively common instruction. 

I'm eating as I normally do.  I was told to fast after 11pm, so I'll be doing that and crossing my fingers for the rest!!

image">

image"">
  • Options

I just read on another bmb about doctors actually giving instructions on what to eat prior to the test...

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/70013268.aspx

I wasn't given any special instructions other than no food or drink after midnight the night prior to my test.  I just ate like I normally do.

BabyFruit Ticker

06.10.12 +HPT 06.12.12 Beta #1 = 2,770 06.14.12 Beta #2 = 6,300
    1st U/S 06.18.12 2nd U/S 06.25.12
    09.24.12 It's a Boy!! ---> Jacob Owen

Our IF Journey Began: October 2009
    **8 Failed IUI's, 1 Blighted Ovum, & 1 Failed IVF**
    Dx: MFI, DOR w/MTHFR Homozygous A1298C & Hypothyroidism
    03.2012 Lab Results: FSH 6.83 AMH 0.67 TSH 3.8 E2 17
    SA 156 million 93% motility 3% morphology

Follow Me on Pinterest
    **~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~**
  • Options
    The instructions to "carb load" are actually just intended to keep you from [intentionally or inadvertently] cutting out carbs and sugars b/c you failed the 1hr and are now nervous about what you are eating. If you drop your intake of those things from your "normal" diet, then the test results may not be accurate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"