C-sections

Latching a baby while lying down (after C-section)

I?m having a repeat scheduled C-section and want to know how I can latch a baby while I?m either lying flat on my back following surgery, or lying on my side.

I have found information about POSITIONING for a side lying position but not really clear on how exactly I or someone assisting me can LATCH the baby, especially if I?m on my back which I anticipate I?ll be in the first few hours.

Also, do I have to worry about the baby getting drugs/anesthesia through my breast milk in those first few hours?

I?ll appreciate any input you have!

Re: Latching a baby while lying down (after C-section)

• I didn't have to lie down. I BF my DD about 30 min after I was moved to recovery & I sat up & everything. It was uncomfortable but they didn't say anything about having to remain lying down. 
  • I didn't have to lay flat after either of my c/s.

I was flat coming out of surgery but as soon as I got to recovery, they adjusted my bed so I was a little more inclined (not sitting straight up, mind you).  I was able to BF as soon as I got to a comfortable position with the help of pillows.

Is there a reason they are going to have you flat on your back for a few hours after surgery?

ETA:  As far as the medications, let the staff know that you will be breastfeeding and they'll make sure you get drugs that are safe.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your replies!

The last time I had a C-section I had a horrible recovery, even though it was a scheduled section b/c my baby had been breech. Following the CS I was completely groggy and throwing up every hour for the entire first day. I could barely sit up and was in a lot of pain after the drugs did wear off. 

I guess I'll just have to ask the anesthesiologist to address all this, this time around. I did mention to my OB how horribly groggy and sick I was during my first CS and he thinks the anesthesiologist back then may have given me something to calm my nerves, bc I was shaking so hard from being nervous about the whole thing. 

I should note that in general though, I do tend to react very strongly to drugs in general. I've had surgeries in the past and have had the same sort of reaction where I'm groggy all day and throwing up. One of my family members who is a doc says she hasn't seen many patients quite as ssensitive as I am...

• That's too bad.  I'd definitely speak with your doctor and anethesiologist to see if there's anything they can do.

I'd ask to speak to the lactation consultant as soon as you feel well enough to try breastfeeding.  The side-lying position isn't too difficult once you're latched.  The LC will definitely be able to help you out.

Actually, it wouldn't hurt to get in contact with an LC before your baby is here.  You can explain what you anticipate and she may be able to give you some positioning suggestions now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with speaking the the hospital LC before you deliever.  I know I've contacted mine a couple times and they are MORE than happy to help! 

Also, I agree, with my previous two c/s I was sitting up when people came in and visited to see baby and to hold baby.  They said as soon as I get to recovery a nurse will be there to help me bf immediately.   As soon as baby is born and done with her apgar, she is imm placed on my chest for skin to skin and wheeled to recovery :)  If I'm not able to do skin to skin they have dad do skin to skin and carry her down the hall to recovery with me. :)  

Ask to sit up if you are able.   It will make the world of difference. 

Pregnancy Ticker image image image
  • I agree with PP about consulting the LC as soon as you can, if not before.  For me, I was at a slight recline in recovery and they had me do the football hold to get DS positioned correctly.  The football hold keeps the baby away from your stomach so they are not right on the incision.  It helps to show your DH how to hand the baby to you or place him/her in the correct position to bf.  

I found it was horribly painful to be laying all the way flat or on my side for some time.  I just propped myself up with pillows and lived in the recliner when I came home.  It was just too hard to get up if I was all the way down.

GL! 

12/13/10 BFP 12/23/10 Miscarriage 3/6/11 BFP EDD 11/09/11 11/03/11 C-Section at 39w1d for failure to progress on induction for HBP and GD Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cincinnati Reds Pictures, Images and Photos image ~~~~~Everyone Welcome PgAL/PAL~~~~~~
  • imageewilliams1127:

I agree with PP about consulting the LC as soon as you can, if not before.  For me, I was at a slight recline in recovery and they had me do the football hold to get DS positioned correctly.  The football hold keeps the baby away from your stomach so they are not right on the incision.  It helps to show your DH how to hand the baby to you or place him/her in the correct position to bf.  

I found it was horribly painful to be laying all the way flat or on my side for some time.  I just propped myself up with pillows and lived in the recliner when I came home.  It was just too hard to get up if I was all the way down.

GL! 

This was my experience as well. About 30 min or so after surgery they propped me up and taught me the football hold. Two days later the nurses helped me with different positions using pillows to help support the baby. Definitely get in touch with an LC as they're a wealth of information.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"