May 2012 Moms
Options

Sippy Cups

Hello, I've tried to give DD a sippy cup 3 times now, and she is definitely interested. She'll take the cup and even put it up to her mouth. (The pedi said we should go ahead and start cup training now, and giving her a little water.) The problem is that she doesn't get it. She's not actually drinking anything, just kind of chewing on the cup. Any tips? What's working for your LO's?

Re: Sippy Cups

• Options

I haven't really tried a sippy cup yet.  We offer her water from a shot glass (from Vegas Surprise) during meals, but she needs help getting it to her mouth w/out spilling.

I have a sippy cup that has a straw on the inside... I'm thinking of breaking that out soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Don't you worry with the shot glass that she may take too big of a gulp and choke on it? I'm super paranoid! lol....I may be wrong, but I think that the straw cups are for toddlers. I don't think that our LO's yet understand the concept of sucking out of a straw.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

She's coughed a couple of times.  I tip it slowly.

The sippy cup I have says 4 months +...... but I haven't used it yet, so I have no idea how well it would work.  Playtex Lil Gripper.

• Options
    Interesting....let us know once you try that cup, maybe if it works for you I'll go buy one. she has 3 different kinds of sippy cups and I've tried each of them but we don't have any with a straw yet.
  • Options
    I'll wash it and try it tonight... I honestly have no idea if it will work or not... But I was going to give it a try soon anyway.

• Options

Great, I'll check back tomorrow. On a completely different topic, I really wish I could shrink the picture in my signature. I've tried 2 times with photobucket and for some reason it hasn't made it any smaller. ugh

• Options
    We tried last night and it just dribble out of her mouth. She was trying but couldn't get the idea. I think she maybe drank an 1/2 ounces from it before we switched to the bottle.
  • Options

DS has had no issues with the sippy...

but, try taking the little rubber stopper thingy out of it, so that it free flows.... that way when she tips it up to her mouth, the water comes out. Yes, this will get messy, but hey, its only water!  That way she knows that there is something in there, and will want to drink out of it.

GL 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemrsshawnavanb:
    Don't you worry with the shot glass that she may take too big of a gulp and choke on it? I'm super paranoid! lol....I may be wrong, but I think that the straw cups are for toddlers. I don't think that our LO's yet understand the concept of sucking out of a straw.

No actually straw cups are great for little ones, my kids always started on them per the dr. Plus a baby won't choke on a glass of water, they have gag reflexes and will spit it out first. Children learn to drink without sippy cups all over the world the main reason for a sippy is to advoid messes.

Also starting with a soft spout cup vs hard helps so it feels more like a nipple in their mouths plus offering milk in it helps since that's something their used to and has flavor unlike water
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    imagejoshandpanda:

DS has had no issues with the sippy...

but, try taking the little rubber stopper thingy out of it, so that it free flows.... that way when she tips it up to her mouth, the water comes out. Yes, this will get messy, but hey, its only water!  That way she knows that there is something in there, and will want to drink out of it.

GL 

This. DD chewed on her sippy too and we took out the stopper and she seemed to get it. We put it back and she'd suck for a bit then chew a bit, and now she chews less. It just takes practice. We've also given DD sips from our cups and water bottles and she loves it; no choking or gagging here (but lots of spilling and spitting :P )

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I tried the sippy cup and ended up switching back to the shot glass tonight.  I think it will take practice.

• Options
    The Dr told us to start her on a sippy at her 6 mo appt.  She said to try the soft type and the straw cup.  I have a soft one but want to get a straw one for her to try.  I can't believe they are already this big.  :)  For some reason I always thought sippys started at age 1. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My /Chart; BFP 3/8/11 CP 3/16/11; 7/11 HSG & S/A both clear;
    Cycle 12~ 50 mg Clomid=BFP 9/9/11, Beta #1=280 & Beta #2=1513, 6w3d hb=122 bpm/ 8w2d hb=186 bpm/12w2d could not hear hb had a 3rd u/s and got to see the hb. 16w2d heard the hb! 156 bpm. A/S 1/3=girl
    <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Home D
  • Options
    Eventually your LO will pick up on how to use the sippy cup.  It's not imperative she learn to use it quickly.  I remember with my DD, I started offering it to her (around 9 months I think, maybe it was earlier) and she would play with it but after a few weeks she started understanding how to use it and got really good with it not too long after that.  I just offered it to her a couple times a day to try and eventually she got the hang of it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options
    My LO has a hard time tipping the sippy cup, but she will drink if we help her tip it up.  She absolutely loves real cups so we give her a bit of water in her sippy without the lid.  We are going to start using dixie cups or shot glasses...somethingshe can grip a bit better.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We started with this straw sippy. You can squeeze the bottom to get some water in the straw to help your LO realize that there is liquid in there. We only put water in our sippy cup and my pedi is ok with that. It took about 1 week for her to get it. We just let her play with it everyday during solids meals. Now she is a pro at it. She can suck through a straw no problem. 

https://www.diapers.com/p/playtex-first-lil-gripper-strap-7oz-trainer-cup-1pk-176528

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

With DD we did/do the straw sippy. It is supposed to be better for their speech development and mouth formation. Around 7 months she started playing with it and then learned to use it and loved it, so I dropped bottles at 9 months and she has been on a straw sippy ever since. She can drink out of an open cup, but it is messy so she gets occasionally. Oh and around 6 months DD was obsessed with drinking water out of our glasses, we let her, but the fascination faded.

I will probably do something similar with DS.

• Options
    A speech therapist I know said a straw is better than a sippy for oral development. It places the tounge at the top of the mouth rather than the bottom (like a sippy) where it should be. Either way, we haven't started.
  • Options

imagetjkdlhb:
    I tried the sippy cup and ended up switching back to the shot glass tonight.  I think it will take practice.

LOL, ok. thanks for the update!

• Options

imagekkchisholm:
    A speech therapist I know said a straw is better than a sippy for oral development. It places the tounge at the top of the mouth rather than the bottom (like a sippy) where it should be. Either way, we haven't started.

Took DD in for her 6 mo check up today and this is exactly what the pedi said...I never knew! Thanks for all of your responses mommas. I got lots of great info!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"