Pregnant after 35

Over 35 and twins - should I be with a high risk OB?

I am currently 11 weeks pregnant. I had my first OB appt yesterday since finding out it was twins. I asked my dr about switching to a high risk OB and she didn't think it was necessary. The hospital where she delivers has a NICU but I don't believe it's a level 3 NICU. I also don't think there are high risk OB practices that deliver out of tht hospital. All of their diagnostic testing is done out of a fetal maternal medicine dept but they don't actually deliver the babies. At my appt my doc told me I will have ultrasounds every 4 weeks at MFM so I know she is taking a more cautious approach.

There is a hospital in the same hospital system that has a level 3 NICU and has a high risk OB dept. I think I might call the high risk practice at the other hosptial to see what their guidelines are for taking new patients and if I need to be referred there by my current doc.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or opinions.

Thanks

6 year old daughter

Fraternal boys born on May 11, 2013 at 36 weeks 4 days

Re: Over 35 and twins - should I be with a high risk OB?

• I will be 40 next month and expecting twins in April/May.  I see my regular OB but also have an MFM who will be doing cervix checks on me and monitoring both babies' growth.  My OB will do the delivery, she has a lot of experience delivering twins.  The hospital I'm delivering at also has a Level 3 NICU.  Me being the paranoid person that I am would insist on delivering at a hospital with a Level 3 NICU.  If you are delivering at a hospital without one, and god forbid your babies need special care after delivery, you don't want them to be flown to a different hospital than the one you are at.

I know some people have uneventful twin pregnancies but I would not be comfortable with a laid back monitoring approach, so it's good that they are taking a cautious approach with you.  Good luck!

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

• So I did a litte more research on the definitions of NICU's. I guess the hospital I'm going to does have a level 3 NICU because they also have a speciality care nursery in addition to a separate NICU. From what I've read online, a specialty care nursery is a level 2 NICU. The difference may be that my doctor's hospital has a IIIA NICU as opposed to a IIIB or IIIC. This does make me feel better, I'm still wondering if I should go to the hospital with the highest level NICU in the area?

6 year old daughter

Fraternal boys born on May 11, 2013 at 36 weeks 4 days

• Loading the player...
  • I'm seeing my regular OB and MFM but my OB will deliver. I always thought MFM's were "high risk" OBs. My hospital has a level 3 NICU too.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageocho2002:
    I'm seeing my regular OB and MFM but my OB will deliver. I always thought MFM's were "high risk" OBs. My hospital has a level 3 NICU too.

Ditto this, but I am only having 1. All of my friends with twins regardless of their age, saw a MFM along with the regular OB. 

• I'm 35 ande carrying twins.  My doctor just recommended that I go to my regular OB for full care.  I asked if I was considered high risk and was told that I would be monitored closely, but not to worry.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"