VBAC
Options

I KIND OF want to TRY a VBAC? Whats the protocol?

I guess I will find out as my pregnancy progresses but right now, Im thinking far ahead to July, whent the baby is due.  During my last pregnancy, I started developing pre-eclampsia, pitting edema so bad on my legs, I was holding probably 30 pounds of JUST fluid! So at 39 weeks, I was induced with cervadil (sp).  I got the first dose in the AM, I was hardly dilating at all during the day so I got the second dose of it...still wouldn't dilate.  I remember the OB coming in and telling me since I was not progressing and the baby was starting to show signs of distress, they were going to have to do a C-section.  That was the scariest time of my life.  Cadance was born with the cord wrapped around her neck 2-3 times and praise God, she is perfectly healthy.  I have heard since then that a lot of women who are induced wind up having to have a C-section. I've had a couple of friends induced who did NOT have to have a C-section.  I would like to maybe try for a VBAC because the surgery sucked and I was non-stop breastfeeding when I got home.  I just wonder, does the OB make the call that you can try a VBAC? I don't know anyone who has tried it, most of my C-section friends have it scheduled, you pick out the date and in you go but I want to maybe try it..Any advice, words of wisdom?

Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I KIND OF want to TRY a VBAC? Whats the protocol?

• Options
    I was induced at 41w1 day and DD arrived by csec at 41w2d. The plan my OB, DH, and I came to is to schedule a repeat csection for 40w4d and if I go into spontaneous labor before that then I can try for a VBAC. My doctor will not induce for a VBAC.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options

If you want to try for a VBAC, first you need to find a doctor that is open to the idea.  It is possible that your doctor isn't comfortable with them for some reason or another.  I switched providers and hospitals to VBAC.

I went into abor with my first on my own but a c/s was called when his heartrate dipped and we couldn't get it back up.  That was at 41w1d.

I was induced with my VBAC at 41 weeks (the longest the hospital would "allow" a VBAC to go) and DD was delivered vaginally at 41w1d. No complications.

So, do your research in your area to find a doctor who has a good rep as a VBAC friendly doctor.  If it comes down to a RCS, you'll still have that option too.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for bringing up the subject of the doctor.  I have my first appt. Friday and will be sure to mention that I want to try for a VBAC and see what they say.  I would sure hate to have to switch doctors but if it comes down to that...hmm..Surprise
    Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagetranscriber87:
    Thanks for bringing up the subject of the doctor.  I have my first appt. Friday and will be sure to mention that I want to try for a VBAC and see what they say.  I would sure hate to have to switch doctors but if it comes down to that...hmm..Surprise

It's not a big deal to switch, and is definitely worth pursuing, especially if you hated your c/s so much. 

You could email this woman: https://birthingbeautifulideas.com/ . She lives in Ohio, and had a hospital VBAC. She's also a doula and could probably point you in the direction of VBAC-friendly providers.

Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"