Pre-School and Daycare
Options

4th birthday party FAIL

We had DD's birthday party this past weekend.  We invited 18 kids, 15 of them are in her class at school.  We also invited several teachers and their kids, plus a couple of family friends.  We booked The Little Gym, put together party favors, got an awesome cake.  And guess what?  No one showed.  Three kids rsvp'ed yes, but they never came.  I was a little concerned that I got no other rsvp's, but we have this issue for every party/get together we ever have.  It seems people just don't rsvp anymore, but then show up.  So I thought ok, no big deal.  I'm sure people will be there and just aren't rsvp'ing.  Boy was I wrong!  One teacher came, but only stayed for 5 minutes because she said she had a wedding to go to. 

We were so disappointed and DD was heartbroken Sad.  It was really really awful, not to mention embarrassing being there all by ourselves at The Little Gym, and the staff was like "Um, y'all can go play in the gym if you'd like..."  Seriously awful.  The next day we took DD to get ice cream and had a little shopping spree at Toys R Us.  Serious fail and we're still really bummed about it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 4th birthday party FAIL

• Options
    That's so sad :(  We are having DS's 4th bday party this weekend.  We are only having family, cause I don't know any of his school friends yet or their parents and would feel weird inviting them at this point.  I couldn't imagine that happening...big hugs!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am sorry. that sucks. I can imagine how disappointing it was for your DD. and that's really crappy that the ones who rsvp'd that they were coming didn't even show. sounds like you handled it well for the situation tho. ugh.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

That's crazy.  So sorry! 

• Options

that's awful - I'm sorry.

Have you guys gone to other parties? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. :

• Options
    imageKathrynMD:
    that's awful I'm sorry.
    Have you guys gone to other parties?nbsp;

Yes we've gone to a ton of parties, for awhile there we had a bday party almost every weekend.
  • Options

imagemavs_girl07:
    imageKathrynMD:
    that's awful I'm sorry. Have you guys gone to other parties?nbsp;
    Yes we've gone to a ton of parties, for awhile there we had a bday party almost every weekend.

I would be FUCKINGPIST at those parents then, if you have been hauling your ass around to their parties, they need to return the favor.  Not cool at all.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

That is so horrible. That makes me want to cry for your DD. I just can't believe it. You didn't talk to any of the kids parents or your friends parents beforehand?

This is such a good reminder why you always RSVP and then you always show up.

I was surprised by how many parents didn't receive our invitation last year. I cornered each parent that hadn't responded and maybe they were lying but literally almost all of them said they didn't have the invite (the moms). They did wind up coming to the party.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

That made me so sad for your DD and so mad at the parents. Seriously, what's with the complete lack of manners these days. It's not hard to RSVP. "Hi this is DS's mom,  I'm sorry, we won't be able to go OR yes, we'll be there. Thanks for inviting us" . One minute. Done.

The A-hole in me would want to send thank you card to all of them- for blowing it off and breaking your kid's heart. Jackasses.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    That is terrible.  I'm really sorry this happened to you.  
  • Options
    Thanks guys.  I didn't really think Veteran's Day would impact it, the school was open on Monday and it didn't really seem like a holiday that people would leave town for or anything.  Maybe so though.  I wasn't able to track down the parents, I didn't see any of them during pick up/drop off in the 2 weeks between sending out the invitations and the party.  I did run into one Mom and had to ask her if they were coming and she told me no due to a soccer tournament.  I'm just having a really hard time not being bitter about it right now Super Angry
  • Options

Oh my goodness! I am so sad for your poor DD! It sounds like you made up for it. 

TBH, this is my worst fear whenever I host something! 

My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh no, that seriously sucks! I'm really sorry. :(
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    That. is. so. sad.  I am sure it was just a weird flukish thing, but wow.  Waste of time, money, thought, etc.  i am so sorry.  My DS had a joint bday party with a boy from his class and we literally never heard from half of the kids (9).  That was enough to make me crazy.  Only one of the no calls showed though.
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options

I am so so sorry. 

This happened for DS's 2nd bday. We invited 17 kids and only 2 older cousins showed up and they just sat off to the side and didn't play. I cried afterwards because we blew $400 on that party.

• Options
    I am so sorry. If you still have the favors maybe you can bring cupcakes and the favors to school and have them sing Happy Birthday there? Even if it is a few days late?
  • Options
    This post made me sad. I'm so sorry the birthday party was a fail. I'm glad you were able to celebrate on your own. Thanks for the reminder to always respond to invitations and to show up if you say you're going to show up!
  • Options
    imagesunandsand:

I am so so sorry. 

This happened for DS's 2nd bday. We invited 17 kids and only 2 older cousins showed up and they just sat off to the side and didn't play. I cried afterwards because we blew $400 on that party.

Yep this is me.  We tried not to talk about it much because DD would've gotten even more upset, but after she went to bed I was in tears.  The Little Gym was not cheap, and the cake (although super cute and super yummy and we now have a ton of leftovers) was way too expensive.  It was a waste of several hundred dollars.

• Options

oh man, that makes my heart hurt. :( i'm so sorry!

i really can't imagine veteran's day had a lot to do with it. it's not really a big holiday here either (no one gets off work or anything) so i can't imagine that should matter.

big hugs to you and your little girl. :(

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options
    Your DD is adorable. I am so sorry to hear this. Luckily we have several cousins who I always know will come. Poor thing. I know it just broke your heart.
  • Options

I am so sorry. I think all the other parents are just jealous bc you have some of the most beautiful children around!!!!!! And they don't want their kids to look like trolls next to them. 

(((hugs))) 

• Options

OMG. It breaks my heart. 

You have every right to be bitter about it. I am sorry.  

• Options
    I actually teared up imagining  your little girl waiting for her friends and no one showing up. That's heart-breaking! My DD doesn't go to school yet, so she doesn't really have more than one or two friends. I'm not looking forward to dealing with situations like this.
  • Options

DS will be four in April and this is actually holding me back from planning a friend party.  He wants a party of course so I'm trying to think of a way to guarantee a small party for him and ensure people come!  None of my close friends have kids his age and his cousins don't live in our state so we don't have any for sures although I do have some so-so friends I would hope would come.

I'm so sorry this happened to you.  What a nightmare.  I'm so sorry for your DD. Luckily, four year olds move on much quicker than we do :)

• Options
    imagencsumommy:

I'm so sorry this happened to you.  What a nightmare.  I'm so sorry for your DD. Luckily, four year olds move on much quicker than we do :)

I was thinking this nearly exactly.

I have never invited more than a few kids to any b-day party of a kid.  Actual friends only, not the whole class sort of thing.  Too unruly and too many flakes out there.  My little guy will be turning 4 in January and I think we'll have at most 4 other kids and a couple of parents and go to the community pool for a party. 

Sorry for the horse-out-of-the-barn rant.  It sounds heartbreaking for everyone involved.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    imagelauren&matt:

I am so sorry. I think all the other parents are just jealous bc you have some of the most beautiful children around!!!!!! And they don't want their kids to look like trolls next to them. 

(((hugs))) 

lol, thank you.  We have a Family Feast tomorrow at her school where all the parents go to eat Thanksgiving lunch with the kids.  I'm going to have a hard time biting my tongue I think... 

• Options
    wow, I'm sorry that happened...that is so disappointing. I fear this will happen to us once we start inviting DD's school friends
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Oh, this makes me so sad for your DD! I would be very bitter and upset if this happened to my daughter. I'd have a hard time biting my tongue about it too. I wonder if the one teacher who showed up will say something to the other teachers or parents?

People are jerks. Not RSVPing is a pet peeve of mine. It is incredibly rude. We seem to have this problem too when throwing a party, though usually someone shows up. I've gotten to the point where I put in bold print on the invite, PLEASE RSVP BY _____ and then contact everyone who has not RSVP'ed by that date and ask, "Just wondering if you will be able to make it to the party?" It's a pain but at least it gives me some sense of who will be there.

Another thing that bothers me is when people say they will "stop by". What does that mean exactly? That they'll show up whenever they want and stay however long they want? The party is scheduled for a specific time; you either can or cannot make it at that time. Another thing that bugs me: "We'll be there but we'll be late". Can you please tell me what time?? Because I may just tell you to skip it if you're going to be very late. We had DD's party at our house in July and none of the kids showed up until an hour after the start time. The party was only supposed to be a couple of hours long! DD was sitting around with all the adults just waiting, and kept asking where her friends were.

Grrr this makes me so mad Angry I'm sorry this happened to you guys.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh wow, I am SO sorry :( You have every right to be bitter - I know I would be.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

That's awful! Poor thing! Sad

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"