Parenting after 35

Turkey Day

So what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving next week?

Can't believe it is next week already!  Anyway, to answer my own questions - we are driving to my sisters and spending 2 nights (they just moved 9 hours away from where I live and we want to see her house, etc).  Thanksgiving morning we are driving 5 hours to my parents.  We will have a nice, quiet dinner with my 30-40 relatives at my cousins as we do every year.  I love it - the kids typically end up in the basement most of the night and the adults eat and eat and drink wine.  Friday night we are celebrating Hanukkah with the same crowd at my brothers house and we will start our 12 hour drive home around lunchtime on Sat (arriving home sometime around midnight)

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 

Re: Turkey Day

• DH is going deer hunting, and I will be taking the kids to my parents in mpls. 5 hours away, with DS potty training.  Getting there may be a battle, but worth the trip.  Turkey day with my parents, then off to a hockey tournament on Friday.  Then home on Saturday. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemwd:
    DH is going deer hunting, and I will be taking the kids to my parents in mpls. 5 hours away, with DS potty training.  Getting there may be a battle, but worth the trip.  Turkey day with my parents, then off to a hockey tournament on Friday.  Then home on Saturday. 
    Between deer and turkey, I'm salivating. If you add deer to a turducken, is it a deturducken? Yummy! I can't believe that your Thanksgiving is so close, it means I need to get my rear in gear, my work Christmas party is that weekend.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are flying for the first time with DD to visit my inlaws.  I'm trying to not be too anxious about it, but I really have no idea how she will react.  We bought her a seat, so she'll have her car seat and hopefully sleep for at least part of the three hour flight, but she is a mega-nap fighter, so it could get ugly.  I actually bought a bulk pack of earplugs to offer our neighbors if things get really bad!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanksgiving has sort of morphed into DH's family coming to our house since their parents are gone... we're the default "home for the holidays."

His sister, the nun, can usually get that holiday off since it's not religious and so she always comes down here for a week or so.  One of his other brothers usually shows up, too... which is cool because I like him.   The other two brothers are ehhh, but we don't see them too often.

Then we'll have a few aunts, uncles and cousins from the area over for the big feast.

I just wish they'd let me get a little more adventurous with the menu.  I swear his persnickity aunt had a heart attack when I brined the turkey one year.  Won't make that mistake again.  (It was delicious!)  If it isn't "traditional", everyone gets in a snit.  Sigh.

• We always go to my parents (15 minutes away).  One sister and her family won't be there this year but my brother, other sister, BIL, niece and nephew will.  A couple friends without family nearby will probably join us.  We will eat til we can't eat anymore and I will enjoy every minute of it.
  • DH's family is coming into town so we will have 7 extra folks staying at our house.  ILs arrive this Thursday to help us get ready for the remaining 5 showing up (thank goodness for that!).   I'm working from home tomorrow so I can have the washing machine going full tilt to get stuff ready to make up the beds.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• imagegimmietimmies:
    imagemwd:
    DH is going deer hunting, and I will be taking the kids to my parents in mpls. 5 hours away, with DS potty training.  Getting there may be a battle, but worth the trip.  Turkey day with my parents, then off to a hockey tournament on Friday.  Then home on Saturday. 
    Between deer and turkey, I'm salivating. If you add deer to a turducken, is it a deturducken? Yummy! I can't believe that your Thanksgiving is so close, it means I need to get my rear in gear, my work Christmas party is that weekend.
    Hahahahaha...
  • imageELF4321:
    We are flying for the first time with DD to visit my inlaws.  I'm trying to not be too anxious about it, but I really have no idea how she will react.  We bought her a seat, so she'll have her car seat and hopefully sleep for at least part of the three hour flight, but she is a mega-nap fighter, so it could get ugly.  I actually bought a bulk pack of earplugs to offer our neighbors if things get really bad!
    Yoiks! Good luck!
  • We're having my mom and her BF over. She ordered a hippy organic, flower fed turkey breast and legs(since there aren't really enough of us for a whole bird) and she'll bring it to my place the day before Thanksgiving.

Along with turkey I'm making gravy, mashed potatoes, bakes green beans, glazed carrots and turnips, and apple cake with caramel sauce. Knowing my history I'd say half of it will be awesome, one or two dishes will be okay and one dish will be an epic disaster.

Oh yeah, and my mom's making stuffing.

• imagegimmietimmies:
    imagemwd:
    Sadly, It has been 5 years since DH has got a deer, he'd have better opportunity to get a turkey, yet he goes every year. Since he is unemployed, he is going longer this year. A deturducken? I've had turducken, no thanks, don't care for the mixture. Yes, and XMAS is only 5 weeks away after Thanksgiving here!
  • Going to the in-laws 3 hours away.  Not looking forward to that.  We have to stay with them and I absolutely hate DH's stepfather. His mother was up here a couple weeks ago and told DD2 "no" more often than anything else even when she wasn't doing anything wrong and continues to try and tell me that we should put cereal in DD's bottle even though she's been eating cereal and purees for 5 months, so really not looking forward to spending the time with them. I am looking forward to shopping with both my girls on Friday though.  DD1 is away at college so I'm really looking forward to her being home and we have such a good time on shopping day and it will be DD2's first shopping year so we'll see how she does. 
  • Same thing we do every year.

Drive the 3 hours to my parents house Thanksgiving morning (we're usually on the road by 7 since DS is up at 6 every morning).  Sombreros start at 10 (mmmm kaluha).  We hang out and play with the kids and watch the parade on tv.  Dinner is around 1 (so good - turkey, stuffing, homemade gravy...).  After dessert my dad and DH leave for the annual hunting trip.  My family (dad, his cousins, etc) has a small shack in the middle of the woods and it's been a tradition for over 50 years that all the guys go up Thanksgiving weekend.  While the guys are gone the girls eat and eat and eat.  And Thanksgiving night we watch Christmas Vacation.  The guys get back late Saturday afternoon and we'll decide then whether we drive home Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon.

This year is going to be a little different though because we will have more people that usual.  My brother, his wife and their 4 kids will be there.  My brother was MIA for a few years due to some family drama.  My cousin and her gf may be coming as well.  Usually it's my parents, my sister and her 2 kids, me, DH, and DS.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My SIL, who lives 25 miles away (so just a half hour by car) is hosting again. We'll go down early to help her and my nephews (ages 7 and 9) will entertain Aaron.

I'd forgotten Hanukkah is early this year. I am dreading celebrating it. Mostly because of finances, which are super tight this year. But I need to get cracking on the shopping for it! Next week before the craziness begins!

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • I hate to say this, but we really don't do much for the holidays.  My family is so divided - my mom isn't speaking to my aunt, my dad has basically disowned me, my other aunt is always working, etc. so I really don't do much with any of them.  DH isn't big on spending too much time at his family functions so we will likely go to his aunt's house for an hour or two and call it a (holi)day.  And he's doing a 5k that morning.
  • My brother and his family come out, so we will do all sorts of things. We are doing a scavenger hunt on the Strip, then going to the Knights of the Round Table show. We are also taking family photos. Totally looking forward to it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Heading to the inlaws, along with my parents.  I keep saying I should just host, but I think I'm still traumatized after hosting in 2009.  LOL!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DH has four cousins here (we moved to Georgia in July) and one of them has a gorgeous house on the lake and she has T Day there each year. So that's the plan if all goes well... turkey and good times with a lake view ;) I'm looking forward to it b/c we usually spend it by ourselves and for the last 2 years DH has spend all holidays at work. With his new job now he doesn't have to work holidays anymore Big Smile
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • We are heading to my parents. My ILs may be there too. FIL has had some medical issues so they are up in the air with what they are doing. Which is good because typically we need to go to DH's grandma's house which is an hour away with the ILs, DH's aunt uncle. We go their for dinner then head to my parents for dessert. It is a pain especially with DS. I really wish the aunt uncle and grandma along with the ILs could just come to my parents but they always want to do their own thing.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"