Pregnant after 35

Anyone else have to stop psych meds?

I was taking Wellbutrin for years and this last year I was feeling more and more depressed even with the Wellbutrin... so my psychiatrist gave me Abilify.... which helped for a few weeks and then things went downhill slowly.  Then she switched me to Zoloft also (discontinued Abilify)... which helped a little.... but tapered off toward the weeks leading up to me finding out I was pregnant.  Once I found out I was pregnant I stopped all of them (per doctor's instructions) and she says I can resume them after the 12 week mark (Wellbutrin and Zoloft).  Meanwhile.... I feel ok.... I mean.... I am functioning at the minimum possible level... but at least I'm functioning right?  I just hope it stays at this level (or better) until then.

Re: Anyone else have to stop psych meds?

• I don't have any personal experience either, but Petra gave great advice, make sure you have a professional you feel comfortable reaching out to and do so as frequently as you need to.
    nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I also had to stop taking meds after I found out I was pregnant (I was on Concerta and Anafranil for ADD/Depression/OCD). Talk about the longest 3 months of my life! It was awful not being on meds. I felt guilty for feeling sad and depressed (to the point of saying I didn't want to be pregnant anymore) during what was supposed to be one of the happiest times in my life. Now I'm on a low does of Wellbutrin (low because I'm prone to seizures); it seems to be taking the edge off my depression, but I've definitely felt better. All I can hope is everything will clear up once my little boy arrives, and I can go back on my normal meds (but then I have to worry about being able to breastfeed while medicated). It's not an easy situation to be in, and not many people understand how hard it can really get. Best of luck to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmmm, this is always interesting to me. I'm pregnant with my second child and both times my OB and psychiatrist agreed that it is very important to have a sane mother ...stress and depresion can have many adverse affects on your unborn child too!

I did have to stop Welbutrin but stayed on my normal dose of celexa throughout the entire pregnancy ... no stopping for 12 weeks (I also have ADHD as the pp and had stop concerta for the entire pregnancy) but at least I wasn't left without a lifeline (celexa). I still feel the difference but I have added therepy to help.

My personal opinion is that you should not be 'just functioning' ... that can turn to non-functioning fairly quickly :(. My heart goes out to you and I really think you need to re-visit all of your feelings w/ you psych ... Also, there are psychiatrists that specialize in pregnant women ... worth a shot to search around for one!

• I was on a cocktail of meds (for several years) and they seems to work fine (wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Adderall) but stopped immediately after getting a positive pregnancy test (per my Doctor's instructions)  I was about 3-4 wks pregnant at that time.  I have done 'ok' without the meds...some days are better then others.  My Obyn has suggested some of the 'safe' meds but I really want to go through the entire pregnancy medicine free.  I am not trying to sound noble or anything...everyone has to do what is best for themselves and their baby.   Someone pointed out how quickly their depression can go from 'ok' to very much 'NOT ok'   I think that the people who know me best...my family and friends are trying to keep watch over me...I have no doubt that my sisters would be the first to push meds if they saw me start to take a turn for the worse.  I am making an appt with my Doctor to go over the restart of all my meds after the baby is born.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"