5 Weeks Pregnant
Options

Depression

Hi!

I've been experiencing some depression ever since finding out that I am pregnant.  I am very happy to be having a baby but for whatever reason I have been feeling this way.  It's not abnormal for me to have bouts of depression and I usually just moderate it with some vitamins and low stress activities.

I really hope that I am able to adjust, maybe it's just because my hormones are changing?  Is it common for people to experience depression during early pregnancy even if you are happy about it? 

Re: Depression

• Options
    I have been feeling this way too.  I'm sure it's just the surge of hormones- I'm usually an emotional roller coaster for my entire pregnancy.  Hang in there and go buy some cute little baby socks or onesies to cheer you up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image image
  • Options

A friend of mine had "pregnancy depression". Apparently, it is an actual disorder. It would be worth looking into, but the fact that you got depressed after "finding out" may have less to do with your emotional state and more to do with something else. It's possible to be happy that you are pregnant, and also to feel "weighed down" a bit by what it means (eg: the added responsibility, less freedom, etc). 

I suggest getting your mind off of being pregnant, and just do something fun and exciting for you. If you're focused on something else and you feel better, it might be good to examine yourself a little bit. If you are used to a way of living and the baby signals a change, it could bother you on some level. I know that all sounds illogical and self-contradictory, but human beings can be like that. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bummer!  I imagine it's just your hormones raging.  I think being around people you love and making sure to get exercise are the biggest helpers.  And don't be hard on yourself because you're feeling this way.  It will pass.  
  • Options
    I am 5 weeks with my second child, and this pregnancy is starting very diff than my first! I did have depressed emotions with my first, but so far with my second, its more of happy but worried emotions. I think I was so upset with my first was because my whole life was changing and I was scared and didn't know what to do. Now I've been there, done that, and I feel a lot better about knowing what's going on and how I'm going to handle this baby. I was also taking antidepressants before I found out I was pregnant the first time, and had to stop cold turkey so that didn't help much! Even after the baby was born, I would cry everyday because I was a single mother and had to move back in with my parents and couldn't work. After a while your whole life changes, but you realize that when you love your child so much, you will do anything for them! Don't worry, your baby is a blessing and you will get through this!
  • Options
    It is your hormones. I have been feeling super irratable lately.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"