Attachment Parenting

Elimination communication and early potty training.

Does/has anyone do/done elimination communication or early potty training? We have been sitting DS on a potty at diaper changes or when we can tell he needs to go, since he was 8 weeks. I am just curious if anyone has done something similar, and how old LO was when potty independent.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Elimination communication and early potty training.

• Oooh, I'd be interested to hear about any experiences too...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesadsadie:
    Oooh, I'd be interested to hear about any experiences too...

ditto this

• Loading the player...
  • We've been putting J. on the potty chair since 15 weeks. We would just put him on at diaper changes if we had the chance. We've also always given lots of diaper free time (easy for us as we have tile floors). He is daytime trained at home. He'd probably be trained out and about, except he has a speech delay. And he rarely signs in public. So we still use a diaper out and about.

Oh, he's been trained at home since right around his second birthday.
  • My only experience with EC is that a friend did it with her son. When the boy was really small, his mom was very good at "catching" when he had to potty. However, it did not lead to his potty training early. The mom is currently pregnant again and stressed about having two in diapers since her son is about 2 and showing zero interest in the potty. I don't think she is planning to use EC with this baby.

My son was reliably day trained shortly before he turned 2 and began expressing an interest in the potty around 18 mo. We didn't do anything to encourage early potty learning; he took an interest on his own and we followed his lead. Every kid is different.
    Natural hospital birthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, Baby Led Weaning, milk donating, extended breastfeeding, fully vaxing, extended rear facing SAHM to:
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We started when DD was 2 weeks old. She's now 15 months and never poops in her diaper, hasn't for a very long time. She signs "potty" when she has to poop and sometimes to pee. She's really not trained at all for pee, but we never pushed it/caught the pee cues early on. We're in no rush for her to be fully trained so the pee training will happen when she's ready!
    image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • We started around 2 or 3 mos I think, part time. By 56 mos, he was pretty reliable about poop...we prob changed 23 poopy diapers a week. He had a couple of "strikes" that first year that we just rolled with. At 18 mos we got rid of daytime diapers and just changed wet pants when he had a miss ... A few months after he turned 2, he started refusing dipes at night. At 29 now he is completely independent except for wiping and going at night he wakes me up and I take him. It is pretty addictive to get those catches and I really enjoyed the whole process!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Haha, my dashes did not work... That should be 5 or 6 mos, not 56 mos, etc .
  • 2 to 3 poopy dipes.... Now he is 2 yrs 9 mos.
  • From my limited research, it's my understanding that EC is not potty training.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep, as of right now I consider it a big fail. I just responded to the post on July 2011 about potty training 
  • imagefredalina:
    I did EC part time only (DH and I work full time each) from 3 months. For the most part she pooped in the potty and not in her diaper at home. She signed for the first time at 8 months. She had some potty pauses though. After about 14 months she had some bad diaper rash so I gave her tons of diaper free time and got her a small potty (we only used the main toilet with a ring before that). She had diaper free time every evening with some days having no accidents and some having 1. At 15 months she was doing really really well but then hit a potty pause. I think I nudged a little hard. So I backed off and she showed interest again. At 18 months I had a week off work so I let her have at it, bottomless all week with a few trips to public restrooms, etc. She did really well and was diaper free in the daytime except for nap from then on, and within 2 weeks had almost no accidents. We soon dropped the nap diaper and I dropped the bedtime diaper at about a month past her second birthday.
    Okay since reading this maybe it's not a giant fail just yet, I gave him a week break and it did absolutely nothing, he still gets up and walks away from the litte potty, and spazzes when I put him on the big potty.

I guess i need to give it a rest for even longer, its just hard b/c I was hoping he'd be out of diapers soon.  I know its my over-eagerness that killed it 

• Thanks ladies! He is happy with the potty now, so I guess we will just have to see if his feelings towards it change!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"