January 2012 Moms
Options

Third Meal

We need to add a third meal, but I'm kind of clueless of what to add.  My DD only does purees at this point.  She gets 3.5oz fruit in the morning and 3.5oz veggie or meat at night.  Should I add a veggie for lunch and do meat at night?  I cannot wait for DD to learn the pincher grasp and feeding herself concept. 

Any ideas on how to "train" DD to eat solids?

If your babies eat solids, do you feed them, or do they feed themselves?  What do you feed them?

imageimageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Third Meal

• Options

DS just turned 10 months last week and we're still working on the solids. I've only been doing 2 meals a day but am trying to do 3 meals today. I gave him a

bottle around 5 a.m

then breakfast at 8:30

another bottle at 11

lunch at 1

another bottle at 3

try dinner around 5

then bedtime bottle around 6:30

He still isn't eating a lot when I do feed him but I want him to get used to something other than his bottle and know it takes practice for him. I would start with puffs, yogurt melts and cheerios then branch out from there. He still has a hard time grabbing some times but your daughter will get the hang of it, hope that helps :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

DD gets either fruit pieces or purees in the monring. She really loves this organic stuff (now I can't remember the name of it. But it's the organic puches that are the most expense ones at Target OF COURSE they had to be the most expensive ones). I get her the ones with greek yogurt in there for breakfast. Lunch she gets another set of veggies and/or if my mom cooks something she can eat she'll get meat with that as well. Dinner same thing, either she gets another thing of veggies or if she didnt have solids at lunch then she gets them at dinner. And some days its 3 times purees and then I add the puffs at the end so she feeds herself too.

For feeding herself I guess just offer her always a few pieces and see if she's interested. Eventually she'll pick it up... Also if she's not picking it up herself just pick a few up so she sees it and offer that way. She'll grab it when she's ready.

I let DD feed herself but then I also give her a few pieces myself to make sure she eats enough and doesn't give it all to the dog LOL

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DD's schedule is:

8:00 ? bottle

9:00 ? 3.5oz fruit

12:00 ? bottle

1:00 ? 3rd meal?

4:00 ? bottle

6:00 ? 3.5oz veggie and/or meat

8:00 ? bottle

Her biggest problem with solids is gagging/puking.  I'd be happy to spoon feed her solids until she learns the grasp if it didn't result in vomiting.  I've tried yogurt melts, puffs, etc with no luck.  I've also tried thickening the purees with cereal.  She ate this no problem, but still couldn't figure out to "chew" the puffs.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    imagebigbear:

I let DD feed herself but then I also give her a few pieces myself to make sure she eats enough and doesn't give it all to the dog LOL

Yes, our dog loves puffs.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    My ds will pretty much eat everything and anything he can. I've been ebf but recently introduced a bottle because I am trying to wean him off the boob by 12 months not to mention really sharp baby teeth = no bueno for me. My doctor said it was okay to do cow's milk cut with water instead of formula and so far so good. I don't know if its a coincident or not but since getting a 5 oz bottle of milk/water before bed he has been sleeping through the night. I think it's because the cow's milk is heavier and more filling then my milk.

For his feeding schedule I nurse him in the morning when we get up at 7am then again when he goes down for his first nap at 9am. Then he gets oatmeal with fruit for breakfast sometimes scrabbled eggs at 10:30am with about 2 oz bottle of milk/water. Then I nurse him when he goes down around noonish for nap 2. Then he gets puffs and fruit with mixed grain cereal or pastina/soup for lunch. I give him another 3oz bottle of milk/water right before his nap at 4pm. Then he gets yogurt or bits of cheese for a snack before dinner around 6pm. For dinner he gets a meat like chicken, turkey or fish and some kind of vegetable. Then he's been drinking a good 5oz bottle milk/water right before bed around 8pm.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    imageHilarityEnsued:

I wanted to add that, while it seems like DS is "eating" a lot of table food, in reality there is a substantial amount that gets dropped on the ground and/or into his high chair.  He regularly drops pieces of food right when he gets them to his mouth, so he's not actually eating an entire waffle, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of the waffle.

Good to know!  

imageimageimage
  • Options

I had added the third meal, but then DS really tanked on breastfeeding through the day.  We already formula feed/BF, and I am just not ready to let go of the breastfeeding, so I gave up the third meal and he bounced back to nursing fine again.

We do meat/veggie/fruit or veggie/veggie/fruit, or veggie/fruit/fruit for lunch.  Today he had a cube of pork tenderloin, and two cubes of mixed mashed squash and sweet potato.  Then half of a banana (cut in thirds) and half of a clementine (little skins off).  At dinner we do cereal (I know it's backwards, but it works for us).

He took a really long time to grasp the concept of chewing.  He would just mash it with his tongue and swallow.  He gagged a lot and choked a few times.  We started with mum-mums and puffs, then moved to bananas and avocado cut up.  He'll pretty much eat anything now as long as it's soft.  Blueberries cut up, oranges, apples with cinnamon, cheese, scrambled, etc.  Anything but meat.  He hates all meat and I have to puree it and hide it in a mash for him.  So we only do meat every other day because I don't want him always eating a mash.

I can only put a piece on his tray at a time because he'll shove everything in his mouth at once. 

• Options
    At this point DD eats pretty much whatever we eat for lunch and dinner, with a few exceptions, mostly due to spiciness. Breakfast is usually yogurt and Cheerios or toast. She gets the school lunch at daycare and eats most of what is served.

The more she was offered table food the better she got at picking up food, getting it in her mouth, chewing and swallowing instead of gagging. Without practice babies won't learn. I would start offering table food at every meal. At first a lot will be wasted but they eventually figure it out.

Our schedule is roughly this:
    6:30 5 oz bottle
    8:00 breakfast
    10:30 5 oz bottle
    12:00 lunch
    3:00 5 oz bottle
    5:30 dinner
    7:30 5 oz bottle

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014