Houston Babies

Could I have a Vaginal Birth???

I have had 3 csections and I was wondering if I could have a vaginal birth could that be possible????

Re: Could I have a Vaginal Birth???

• Best to ask your doctor.  
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • I would, personally, contact 3 (for a broad spectrum of opinions) midwives, with your medical records in hand, and ask their opinions. American hospitals and doctors don't necessarily follow the policies and research. If it's not a safe option, a midwife won't put her neck on the line and will tell you say. OTOH, if it is an option for you, she will give you a chance if possible.

There are three doctors in all of Houston that I could suggest MIGHT do a VBA3C and would be happy to give you their names by pm if you would like. 

There are a great number of midwives listed on the Association of Texas  Midwive's page, as well as The Houston Midwive's Alliance. If you want personal recommendations, let me know. :)

• Loading the player...
  • imageSageBeginnings:

I would, personally, contact 3 (for a broad spectrum of opinions) midwives, with your medical records in hand, and ask their opinions. American hospitals and doctors don't necessarily follow the policies and research. If it's not a safe option, a midwife won't put her neck on the line and will tell you say. OTOH, if it is an option for you, she will give you a chance if possible.

There are three doctors in all of Houston that I could suggest MIGHT do a VBA3C and would be happy to give you their names by pm if you would like. 

There are a great number of midwives listed on the Association of Texas  Midwive's page, as well as The Houston Midwive's Alliance. If you want personal recommendations, let me know. :)

Wow.  I have to say something to this.  There are over 200 ob/gyns in Houston.  How could you even come close to knowing that only three may do VBA3C?  Seriously??  You are just making serious guesses at this point. 

Midwives are meant for low risk pregnancies.  Why would you even suggest she ask one let alone three?  Having three c-sections is not low risk.  Her previa and accreta rates are much higher than normal.

You're really out of line on this one.  ACOG just updated their VBAC guidelines and actually supports VBA2C.  Before you get on a high horse and make bold statements about what American doctors do, maybe you should actually work with more than a handful of them for sevearl years before such accusations.   It's not helpful and only serving your purpose to scare patients about obstetrics.   

OP - This is best left to discuss with your physician. 

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • imageE&RMommy:
    imageSageBeginnings:

I would, personally, contact 3 (for a broad spectrum of opinions) midwives, with your medical records in hand, and ask their opinions. American hospitals and doctors don't necessarily follow the policies and research. If it's not a safe option, a midwife won't put her neck on the line and will tell you say. OTOH, if it is an option for you, she will give you a chance if possible.

Wow.  I have to say something to this.  There are over 200 ob/gyns in Houston.  How could you even come close to knowing that only three may do VBA3C?  Seriously??  You are just making serious guesses at this point. 

Midwives are meant for low risk pregnancies.  Why would you even suggest she ask one let alone three?  Having three c-sections is not low risk.  Her previa and accreta rates are much higher than normal.

Hmm  Nice assumptions Smile I am actually speaking from quite a bit of research and expertise. Having access to over 40 alternative birth professionals that have worked with women who have been patients of doctors whom they have been willing to interview their providers for us, or put us in touch with them so that we can interview them has enabled us to interview the majority of doctors in the Houston area.

As many practices won't even do A VBAC, we can be assured they won't do any VBA_C. That narrows us down considerably to a few doctors (yes I can count them on two hands) that will do VBA2C... and even less that will do VBAMC.

So no, I am not guessing. 

Why did I suggest she ask 3? Because one rouge midwife might say yes, whereas two others might say no. The odds would be out of her favor. Or all three might give her the real risks, and say yes but within these parameters.. or they might say no and refer her to their back up OBs (which I know two back up many of the midwives in this area) - resulting in her being a direct referral to one of those "3 OBs" that I mentioned earlier. 

You're really out of line on this one.  ACOG just updated their VBAC guidelines and actually supports VBA2C.  Before you get on a high horse and make bold statements about what American doctors do, maybe you should actually work with more than a handful of them for sevearl years before such accusations.   It's not helpful and only serving your purpose to scare patients about obstetrics.

As outlined above, there is a method to this madness, I assure you, I am not 'out of line' as you like to say. I am well aware of ACOG's revised statement - I mentioned it earlier.. but it doesn't mean that OBs follow those in this area. Bottom line, having worked with numerous NUMEROUS women seeking VBACs (not even VBA2C) and being routed into bait and hook at the end of their pregnancies, yes, I know that there are many many doctors that DON'T follow the ACOGs revised statement.

It's not a high horse, but experience, that has proven this fact repeatedly in my realm of work. I attend the majority of the women I work with in a hospital setting. And I love supportive OB attended birth in a hospital setting. I have seen some wonderful OBs who truly practice evidence-based health care and respect a woman's autonomy to be able to be an active participant in her heathcare. But this is not standard practice. Not in Houston, not in other large cities I have lived in. 

I have been in Houston for 2.5 years, but I have had enough personal experiences, and the experiences of over 40 other doulas in this area, some of whom have been practicing in this area for over 18 years, to rely on as more than simple guesses.

Be careful, your assumptions are showing. My purpose is not to scare patients about obstetrics - you don't know a thing about me or my business. Having practiced for over 12 years as a doula and childbirth educator, serving a majority of women in the hospital setting, and given the benefit of seeing many more than a handful of OBs practice in this area has given me a well rounded, respectfully disagreeable POV to your assumptions about me and hopes for the Houston obstetrical community.

If you know of more than the few names I have regarding OBs who would be willing to consider a VBA_C, I would LOVE to add them to my list - genuinely LOVE it; we need more on that list. PM me those names if you really have them. And I am not trying to be snarky, but I have asked this from nurses before, those who have an 'in' to the business, and they have never been able to give me a name beyond the ones I already have. I would love to be proven wrong in this instance, I really would. I would happily eat these words - HAPPILY.

I am in the service of finding women options and answers so that they can make fully informed decisions, and becoming active participants their healthcare. I am not in the service of attempting to coerce them into a specific way of birthing. There are doulas that work that way, but that is not me.

Back to the OP - like I said, I can give you midwives and OBs names and numbers that can possibly help you and give you an honest review of your op file.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"