Attachment Parenting

Losing my mind

My daughter, up until now (almost 4 months) has been a fairly easy-going baby and, as far as babies go, a pretty good sleeper. Over the past week, however, she has been having a really hard time-- waking up pretty much every hour or so all night long and only wanting to nurse all night long. Before this phase, she was next to me in a bassinet. Now she is only content sleeping latched on, which makes it really difficult for me to get any sleep whatsoever. When I pull her into bed with me, she sleeps and my husband sort-of-sleeps, but I am stuck in the morning with super sore nipples. If I unlatch her once she is asleep, that can sort-of work for maybe half-an-hour or so before she realizes that she doesn't have a nipple in her mouth and wakes up screaming. Literally.

Last night I wanted to just put her in her crib and let her scream and scream because I was just so exhausted, but I knew that wouldn't solve any problem, and in fact, it would probably make it worse...

Does this sound like the 4-month-wakeful to you? And if so, when can I expect things to get better?

Have I exacerbated the problem by "giving in" and letting her nurse all night long just because it's easier? Is that why she wakes screaming? Because she knows that if she screams she gets what she wants?

Does anyone have any advice? I am exhausted and on the verge of tears because I am just so tired. 

Re: Losing my mind

• I wish I had some sage advice for you but all I can say is that it WILL get better.  DS was a terrible sleeper and it only got worse at 4 months.  He used to wake up screaming too.  Will you DD take a pacifier?  I don't know if you're against them but you need to get some sleep too.

I thought those days would never end and now (10 months) DS regularly sleep 8-10 hours straight. I hope someone else has some advice for you. 

• This does sound like the 4-month wakeful to me, because DS similarly wanted to nurse all night long at that point and woke up more frequently. It did get much better...I don't think that it lasted very long.

I didn't mind sleeping with him latched because I hardly notice and he usually comes unmatched on his own once he's deeply asleep. It also doesn't make me sore at all.

I am sorry you're struggling with this. Your instinct not to let her cry is good, because she's likely also nursing more because she's growing, so she needs the milk. You could try a pacifier, though, to see if she wants to suck and doesn't need to eat. There's no reason she can't sleep next to you but latched onto a pacifier.

Good luck! I promise that it does get better and you will sleep well! :) 

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh. I wish that she would take a pacifier, but she just spits it out. I have tried different shapes, sizes, etc. For a while it looked like she was going to be a thumbsucker, but I guess not... And when she was littler, she'd suck on a pinkie. The only thing she'll suck on at the moment is a nipple. I actually can only use one nipple at the moment, because a few nights ago I think she partially unlatched, and then relatched with a poor latch, and essentially tore my nipple apart. So, that's also exacerbating the problem.
  • imageRhianna1981:
    Ugh. I wish that she would take a pacifier, but she just spits it out. I have tried different shapes, sizes, etc. For a while it looked like she was going to be a thumbsucker, but I guess not... And when she was littler, she'd suck on a pinkie. The only thing she'll suck on at the moment is a nipple. I actually can only use one nipple at the moment, because a few nights ago I think she partially unlatched, and then relatched with a poor latch, and essentially tore my nipple apart. So, that's also exacerbating the problem.

Oh, wow. I'm so sorry - that sounds so painful. I recommend looking up your local La Leche League group. You can contact the leader and talk to her. She can also put you in contact with a certified lactation consultant. They can give you advice for how to help LO latch properly, care for the injured nipple (and avoid engorgement/supply drop while it heals), and maybe offer sleep solutions. Just be sure to tell them that you're not comfortable allowing LO to CIO. 

I've found LLL to be a great resource with very knowledgable, helpful women. :) 

imageimage
  • Oh you poor thing. Could your LO be teething or having a growth spurt and so getting your milk supply up? When my baby boy was 4mths he is now 14mth he started cutting his 1st tooth which took a while to cut through. He was really bothered by it and woke at least every hour to nurse. He also only wanted the breast for comfort and never took to a pacifier. That was the beginning of us cosleeping as i started to be able to doze off whilst he suckled so got some sleep. It lasted until tooth was through only to start up again about a mth later with the 2nd tooth.He now has 12 teeth but nights have always been extra fussy during teething and the 1st few where the worst for my boy. So i have no advice but could be that and if so it will pass though its tough at the time i know . I think he also grew a lot then so was increasing my milk supply. If you can forget any chores and snuggle up for a bit when baby is snoozing in the day and snooze yourself or just rest at least that may help you keep your sanity. Hope it passes soon! Big mummy comfort hugs to you
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"