Washington Babies

Recommendations for OBs in/around Auburn?

My husband and I are moving to Auburn in one week. I'm at 9 weeks and I have my first appt. next week, in Mill Creek. I obviously want to find a provider closer to our new home. Any recommendations?

I'd prefer someone who's easygoing, OK with my activity level (I do Crossfit), and natural/hippy tendencies.  

Re: Recommendations for OBs in/around Auburn?

• I don't know how you feel about a Certified Nurse Midwife instead of an OB but I really liked Rhonda Dicostanzo at St Joseph Women's Clinic on J Street in Tacoma. They deliver at St Joes, which is a very natural birth friendly hospital if you're into that sort of thing. When I met with the nurse at their clinic I asked for the most granola midwife they had, and they said Rhonda would be a good fit for me. She was very chill and has a very calming demeanor with a little humor. She is also very gentle.

Whatever you do, DO NOT go with an OB who delivers at Auburn Regional if you are at all interested in a birth with low interventions. You can PM me if you're interested and I will give you more information I have a family member who worked there for years who has told me a lot of horror stories about the way things go there...won't go into too many details on here, but if you PM me I will tell you.

If you are more interested in the traditional OB I used to see Stephen Poore at Multicare Women's Clinic in NE Tacoma. It's just up the hill from Auburn, up HWY 18. I liked the care I received there and he has a great nurse Kathy. They just weren't in line with what I planned for my birth, which is why I switched to a midwife. He is very personable though!

If you are at all interested in using a licensed midwife and delivering at a birth center, Susan Sherwood is very good and delivers at The Birthing Inn, which is beautiful. It's in Tacoma. Susan also does crossfit. My SIL was her patient and she was fine with my SIL continuing to do crossfit well into her pregnancy. She doesn't deliver at the hospital, but The Birthing Inn is a wonderful place to have a baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was going to suggest you find a midwife since you have hippy tendencies.
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB is Dr Amy Atwood at Valley Women's Health care. They're located next to Auburn regional hospital but they deliver at Valley Medical in Renton. This is my first pregnancy and I have not delivered yet so I cannot speak for the delivery but the prenatal care has been amazing. Dr Atwood is very supportive and easy going with my activities. I was doing yoga, zumba, weight training and golf. Not as intense as cross fit...:-)  but she always advised to listen to my body . Good luck and congrats!!!! 

• We live in Auburn and I'm seeing Dr. Alison Webb at Associated Valley OB/GYN- which is in a medical building on the Valley Med Center campus.    Also, I've heard excellent things about the Midwive's at Valley Medical Center.  

I've heard wonderful things about Valley Birth Center and the nurses.  With that said, we are taking our birthing class at Good Samaritan in Puyallup and the birth classroom was in the new part of the hospital, which is really beautiful.  The only drawback is that you labor and deliver in one room, and then recover in a separate room, and I haven't heard really good things about the nurses at Good Sam.  

Overall, for your style, I'd try the Midwive's at Valley Med.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll check out Valley Medical, since I'm at the very north of Auburn, almost Kent. The midwife program there appeals to me. I like the idea of a natural approach, but being within a modern medical facility should something go wrong.
  • Dr, Boswell at Auburn Regional. i LOVE her! She was great thru my entire pregnancy and delivery of our first LO in September. i just love her. She has great bed side manner and is always looking for your best interest. I trusted her with my life and my child's and would do it again in a second! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"