Special Needs

Halloween success!

I made Zach a clothes-costume this year (Charlie Brown) and let him choose his pants (he chose his bathing suit). We put some candy from our house in his pumpkin and took off. He had the best time, saying "treat" and "thank you" with prompting. The greatest part was when we ran into a group of our neighbors -- 5 kids with one mom. Zach decided to join with them running with them to each house and lining up to walk to the next house. He has never joined in with them on his own -- I was floored and so excited. Even if it was only parallel play-like, the important thing is that he wanted to do it, with no prompting from me.

How did your night go?

(Edited -- I posted from my iPhone and lost all my special characters.  My grammar is better than this message made it appear!!)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Halloween success!

• Yay!! That's so awesome.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• That is great!

I took a suggestion from here to get DS to wear his Nemo costume. We left his costume in the living room on a chair so he can see it and gave him 2 Cheetos if he put it on. We did get him to put it on through out the month every once in awhile.

There was a Trunk or Treat on this past Saturday and he put on his costume before when we were in the parking lot with no treats. He saw all the kids wear their costumes.

Yesterday, he put on his costume when I was dropping him off at school with no treats.

Last night, he put on his costume before we left for Trick-or-Treating. I tried taking out the toys he kept carrying in his plastic pumpkin but that was a fail and DS wanted to take those toys with him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I started talking "up" his costume and halloween and trick or treating about 2 weeks ago, and honestly, it could not have gone any better.

We had a great time, both boys loved TOTing and my ODS would stop other kids on the sidewalk "what are you dressed up as?  A zombie?  Wow!  Great costume!"

It was a fun night.

• Yay for your dc!

Our night went pretty well.  I figured it would be a fight for ds to put on his costume, but he got really excited once we told him we were going out to get candy.  Stick out tongue

He didn't socialize much, but he did tell everyone who gave him candy - Thank you, which we were very happy about.  All in all, it was a very good night. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know Halloween was a few weeks ago, but I've had no one who could truly understand what a milestone this Halloween was for us. We did no talking about Haloween or TOTing introduction beforehand b/c we knew ds2 wouldn't really understand. However, as we have every year, we had a few families over (we live in the good neighborhood!) and set off with our group of 13 kids Big Smile I told dh I'd bring ds2 home in a few minutes, as I have every other year, and then keep going with ds1 - the men stay with the babies and hand out the candy!

Well, ds2 survived the whole thing!!!!  He would't go near the first few houses, but when he saw what the other kiddos were doing he started copying them. I had to do the talking for him since he's non-verbal, but he did sign 'thank you' every time, which I interpreted for him.

I did end up carrying him for the last block or two or three,since he was tired and not used to walking that far - low muscle tone and all. When I started getting tired - he is a pretty well sized 4 yr old - I just told myself it was my upper body workout and enjoyed the rare cuddles I got.

Thanks for understanding my excitement Big Smile

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"