VBAC

Repeat C vs. Vbac for my situation...

I know it's up to the individual, but I had a REALLY tough labor last time that ended in an unplanned (but not emergency) c-section. 36 hours of labor, failure to progress, then 5 hours of pushing, than the baby got stuck. I had a c-section without too many complications. EXCEPT for the constipation afterwards... I literally couldn't go for days, thought I was pushing another baby out the rear, tearing, finally had to have the thing put in my butt to help me go (I forget what it's called...enema?  I'd do just about anything to avoid that again...)

Anyway, I'm curious... were those complications more likely because of the induction, the C-section or because of the long labor? I'm not sure if I want to try a v-bac (only to potentially have the same set of issues) or if I should just suck it up and go with a repeat c-section (baby #2 is likely my last, if it matters).

I know everyone is different but advice and suggestions would be welcome! Thanks in advance.

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...

Re: Repeat C vs. Vbac for my situation...

• Constipation happens after vaginal deliveries too so I do not think that should be the deciding factor.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Are you asking about choosing a VBAC versus RCS regarding constipation....? I don't consider constipation as a complication but a side affect. Just do preventative things the next time around such as eating foods right away that help constipation and avoid all foods that bind you up. I would also look into taking something like Metamucil to help keep things moving as well.

My story is pretty much yours plus induction for preeclampsia/high blood pressure and a general anesthesia cesarean only to be diagnosed with cephalopelvic disorder.

It is a very personal choice but I have decided that different choices will be made this time around to change the outcome. No induction(couldn't anyways), no epidural(I want to move around and birth in different position to widen my pelvis), and I have decided I need to put a cap on how long I push so there is no potential "you have no other choice, we need to do a c/s right now" scenarios as I go flying to the OR.

Also my OB compared positioning to a square block into a square hole, if you turn the block just a teeny bit it doesn't fit anymore so babies have to line up well in order for them to come through easily (or some mumbo jumbo like that).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I heartily disagree with the poster who said that constipation should not be considered when weighing RCS vs. VBAC.  I labored for 60 hours (back labor, unmedicated), pushed for 3 and ended up with an unplanned c-section.  Despite a rough delivery, I found my recovery to be much worse.  This was primarily because of 1) an infection in my incision which then had to be re-opened and 2) horrible, terrible constipation.  I could not use the bathroom for over a week and the pain was so bad when I finally went that I thought that I would have to go to the hospital because I had ruptured something (I did not).

My understanding is that L&D can affect your bowels, and that both vaginal birth and a c-section can cause constipation.  However, I also sense that c-sections have a higher incidence of moderate to severe constipation because a c-section impacts your bowels more directly.  This is why many women are advised to take stool softeners prior to surgery.  It is also the reason why the nurses are so concerned about an individuals ability to pass gas after surgery.

My advice would be to talk to your doctor about your concerns, and to get a second opinion if necessary.  You need to make the best possible decision for yourself, and the best way to do that is to get information directly from those who know the most. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Constipation happens after vaginal deliveries too. Eat LOTS of fresh fruit and vegetables before delivery. I'd cut out the carbs big time. Once you have your baby you can take more than one stool softener a day too.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP May 2017. 
    BFP July 2014. Low Progesterone. DS born by repeat c-section for breech presentation.
    BFP November 2011 TWINS!!!. Lost a twin at 7 weeks. DS born VBAC.
    BFP July 2009. DD born via c/section for breech presentation.
    BFP Jan. 2009. Missed miscarriage at 9 weeks.D&C March 2010
    December 2009 - Diagnosed with bicornuate uterus.
  • Hi there!  I had constipation after my c/s (unplanned after labor, like yours) but not after my VBAC.  But it sounds like others have had it both ways, so that probably shouldn't be a factor.  I used stool softeners after my c/s which helped.

Good luck with your decision!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • I had some constipation after both my c/s and my VBAC, but it was SO MUCH worse after my c/s and it lasted so much longer.  It was horrible.  After my VBAC, it was a little annoying but really just not a big deal.  So if yours was like mine post-c/s, I can understand why you are factoring it into your decision.  Of course it is impossible to know what will happen to you, this is just my experience.  GL.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've had 1 c/s and 2 vbacs. Oh dear God. The constipation was SO much worse with this last birth which was just last week. I have no idea why it was worse, but when I finally pooped it was like giving birth again. Maybe because with the surgery they pushed the colace more? Or because I was on IV fluids for longer? But I had minimal, "normal" constipation for the c/s and first vbac. Not like the death poo I just experienced.

So no, I wouldn't necessarily take constipation into account. I'd take steps to avoid constipation though no matter what birth you have more fluids, more colace, oatmeal for breakfast, prunes by the handful.
    - Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"