Special Needs

At my wits end

Because of the storm, Chris's school has been closed all week and will continue to be closed tomorrow and Friday.  So I haven't been outside since Sat afternoon.  I've been in a very very very small apt with my extreme terrible twos even though he'll be three tomorrow son, my I'm going to cry all the time 6 month old and my I'm just going to be an unbelievable tool husband.  And did I mention that both DH and I are required to continue working from home?  

I feel for Chris - he's out of his routine - he's cooped up here - no access to the computers because DH and I need them to work.  He's going stir crazy and crying/screaming ALL DAY LONG.  His crying triggers the baby to start crying which triggers DH to start yelling.  

I'm going to lose my mind.  Come hell or high water, I'm going out tomorrow.  Anywhere.  I mean after all I refuse to lose my sh!t (sorry) on my birthday which is tomorrow.  It's also Chris's birthday - to date, none of his birthdays have been great.  First one - he freaked out at the cake and refused to eat any.  DH tried to force it because he was adamant on having that 1st bday cake picture which only made Chris freak out more.  Tears tears tears - Fail.  2nd birthday - ear infection and an official your kid has PDD-NOS report.  3rd birthday - a freaking hurricane shuts down schools so tomorrow I have to go pick up a birthday cake I bought for his class and try to do something here.  I'm sure that'll work out splendidly.  *sigh*

Would it be weird if I threw a toddler tantrum? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: At my wits end

• We have had the most success on birthdays by doing exactly what Auntie suggests -- figuring out what makes him happy and rolling with it.  For his third b-day, it was a day at the water park with some friends.  No singing, and cupcakes that he just ate the frosting off of, and no gifts (and therefore no big show of opening gifts).  The next year, it was a few more people, and this year it was a party at the house, where his therapy buddies could bounce on our trampoline or in our bounce house, and swing all they wanted.  No games or organized activities, and still no gifts.  He did let us sing to him and blew out the candles.  It was perfect for him, and a nice progression from where he was years before.

Hope the day goes well!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah that's why I wanted to do the "party" at school. No pressure from DH for that perfect moment. If he wanted no part of the cake the other kids could enjoy it. DH has a harder time letting go of those moments. His parents sent us two gifts for him and I suggested opening them and just introducing them to him tomorrow but no he wants to have him unwrap them. I foresee some crying. Although he did say that if it was going south he wouldn't force the issue.

Yay birthdays.

• Loading the player...
  • I have no idea if you tried this, or if it will work for your DS, but I was able to get DS interested in opening gifts by tearing a little, and then making a really big deal of saying "What's that?  What did Mommy do?  Tear, tear, tear.  What's under the paper?  Oh, my!  Your turn!"  And then he would tear a little.  My son responds when I use a really high affect, so this is done in a breathless, excited voice.  You could try it out at home by just wrapping a little toy in paper and seeing if he catches on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJenGK:
    I have no idea if you tried this, or if it will work for your DS, but I was able to get DS interested in opening gifts by tearing a little, and then making a really big deal of saying "What's that?  What did Mommy do?  Tear, tear, tear.  What's under the paper?  Oh, my!  Your turn!"  And then he would tear a little.  My son responds when I use a really high affect, so this is done in a breathless, excited voice.  You could try it out at home by just wrapping a little toy in paper and seeing if he catches on.

I just read this but this is EXACTLY what DH did and yep, Chris had fun opening the present and then had a blast with said present - a xylophone! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"