September 2012 Moms
Options

Dairy free moms....

Lots of questions...

Im starting to think with the recent facial breakout that LO may have the dairy protein allergy.  She is also very fussy and NEVER content for more than five minutes.  She is very gassy.  I burp often, but she still gets the "look".  Her diapers are usually mustardy, but they are greener in the morning.  I relate this to me eating dairy later in the day.  I refuse to blame it on "colic" so I am about to go through the necessary steps...

Where should I start with LO?  Should I try these miracle gas drops first?  The Tummy Drops do not seem to work except get her excited about the flavor/taste/sweetness. 

And...if I go no dairy, what do I get rid of?  milk/cheese/sour cream/eggs....EVERYTHING?  If you have done this please let me know what has been the culprit so I can start there.  I think this could be very difficult in that I would be making two completely different meals for DH and myself.  

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/support you can provide for me.... 

Re: Dairy free moms....

• Options
    Sorry you are going through this LB! I don't have advice but hope you get answer!
  • Options
    Sorry you are going through this. We are going to the pedi tomorrow to figure E's dietary stuff out, so I feel ya.

If I go seriously dairy or dairy and soy free, DH will be doing that too for the most part. No two dinners here.

Some of the ladies here know a ton about it. The godairyfree website had good info, and PETA's site has a big list of vegan products so those are dairy free [Cinnamon Life cereal! Om NOM NOM]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Depends on your style. Some moms do total elimination including hidden dairy, some do obvious dairy. The first is more drastic but faster.
  • Options

So sorry you're dealing with this!  It's definintely not a fun trip...  I am dairy free for 7.5 weeks (went dairy free 2.5 weeks before DS was born), and I still find it difficult at times.

As for where to start, I would definitely try gas drops, but it usually takes at least 2 weeks to see full-results from dairy, so I would do it right away.  If you see results immediately, it's probably the drops.  If not, you've already started the dairy.  I do think you'll see results from the dairy sooner than 2 weeks, but it can take awhile.

I would do all obvious dairy (milk, cheese, butter).  I eat eggs because they aren't dairy and DS doesn't have any issues with it.  I recommend using something like almond or coconut milk (almond is my preference) instead of soy because many babies that have milk protein allergies also have soy allergies. 

I do make a lot of double dinners because of DS1 (who grew out of his allergy by 13 months) and DH.  But I also try to make a lot of meals that I can manipulate to be dairy-free (we had tacos tonight and I just didn't have cheese or sour cream on mine).  Godairyfree website was helpful as well as milkfreekids.com.  The second site had a list of name brand items that don't have dairy (i.e. Oreos!!), which I thought was nice as well.

GL and hope you can figure it out soon!

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Options
    I have had problems with dairy in both of my LOs. I cut out obvious dairy like drinking big glasses of milk. I still do cheese and eggs and stuff but limit how much I eat. I haven't cut out all dairy and that works for us. Milk has been our main culprit. I would just try to cut some dairy out of your diet and see if that works for your LO. Good luck with everything!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks ladies....I appreciate the support!  

I had my mom go out and get the colic calm and right now I have a new kid.  I'm sure there has to be more too it so I will start with limiting the obvious milk/cheese and see where I can go from there.  My kid is forcing me to eat better...darn her!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"