July 2013 Moms

Midwives

Does anyone here see a midwife or midwife group?

I used an OB for my previous pregnancy but I would like to see a midwife this time around. Just wondering if you are able to see them from the very beginning of pregnancy if you want the first trimester screenings (nuchal translucency and quad screen). I know that we want all of the screenings but I am not sure if it's customary for midwives to offer that. **The early screenings are important for us since my family has risk factors.

I've called a few places and they each have said that I need to make an appointment to come in with my questions but I obviously don't want to waste our/their time if I need to stick with an OB until after the early screenings.

Preg fun. 

Hadley 3.2011 | Ali 7.2013 | Jack 1.2016
NEW PEANUT DUE 7.2017 <3

Re: Midwives

• Yes and Yes. I worked with a midwife practice and all the prenatal testing was the same.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh yes. I work at a midwifery clinic and we offer all the early screens! Midwives rock!! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll be seeing a pair of midwives. I'm also in midwifery school myself. Some midwives do offer the first tri screenings, but others will refer you to an OB for them. It depends on their facilities. Either way, you can start seeing the midwives from the beginning for your regular visits and just take the referral to the OB for the tests if your midwives don't perform them.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've used a midwife with each of my pregnancies and wouldn't have it any other way. I LOVE them!!! They do all the normal testing/screenings. The major difference I notice with a midwife is they seem to take more time with you, get to know you better, etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I used a midwife group and birth center. It was an amazing experience! And if you ask for the tests they will do them, or refer you out (usually, I assume its the same everywhere). I too felt like I got more time with my midwives, and birth was treated as miraculous, wonderful, amazing, every time. 

Love is multiplied: DS #1: 1.5.99 ~ DS #2: 9.23.11 ~ DD 8.29.13

m/c 11/12/12 - sleep tight baby bean.

Bitty Baby #4, please stick around - we already love you so very much!

Ultrasound 11/4 - TWO HEARTBEATS!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• That sounds perfect! I can't wait to experience having a midwife this time around and I won't miss having to go to my old cattlecall style OB office.
    Thanks for the info ladies :
    Hadley 3.2011 | Ali 7.2013 | Jack 1.2016
    NEW PEANUT DUE 7.2017 <3
  • For preg 1 I had an OB, for my 2nd I had a midwife, and for my last I had another OB. This time I am going to use a midwife again. But since I just moved to this state, i have to do a search and find a new one. I definitely recommend a midwife.
    *#4~EDD July 9th****DS1 07/01~ DS2 02/04~ DD 10/07*
  • I prefer to see a midwife over an OB! I didn't have the choice with DD because I was high risk. With my DS I saw a midwife at a hospital and lived it! I like their more natural approach to pregnancy and birth. 
  • I'm planning to have an HBAC, so I will be seeing a midwife for my primary and an OB for secondary (for back-up, in case of a transfer).
    Married to the Love of my life ~ 7.30.2010 #1 Blessing (E.I.) joined our family ~ 6.7.2011 #2 Blessing (J.D.) became our angel baby ~ 7.26.2012 #3 Blessing on the way ~ EDD 7.2.2013 *Thinking blue* Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"