Special Needs

Hearing test question

Hi ladies-

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but I thought some of you might have advice on this. My DD needs her hearing checked again, one of her ears referred at birth and she is having a subsequent test next week at 5 1/2 weeks old. It's a 3 hr test and sounds pretty intense---they want her to be asleep for the test, which I think is possible to do but they keep pressuring to keep her awake for a while up until the test. Is this even possible with a 5 week old?! I am getting nervous. Anyone gone through this? Thank you

6 & 2 year old, 2 losses

Re: Hearing test question

• my LO had the same exact test done at six weeks... i had to take my mom with me to keep him awake in the back of the car... she used a cold wash cloth to keep him awake... i remember him not being happy! i kept him awake from 9am until 1pm.... and he slept 3.5 hours for the test... 

good luck! hope everything turns out wonderful! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nate had his ABR at six weeks old. It didn't take 3 hours, but we did go back for a second round to confirm the first results. (Mild-moderate hearing loss) He slept in the carseat the whole time w/o problems. I also brought a bottle in case he woke up. I don't remember sleep depriving him at all, but he is also an awesome sleeper....good luck!
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • My lo had one at 2 weeks old. They asked the same thing. The test did last the whole 3 hours and was a little overwhelming because my lo was so tiny we had a hard time keeping the earpohones in her ears and the electrodes in her head.
    We had another test done at 2 months old and things went a lot better. I brought an extra bottle, her swaddle me. Fed her right before we left and she fell asleep in the car. Woke up once we got to the test and I topped her off with a little more milk and swaddled her. She slept the whole time and it took 1.5 hours although the second time around they focused more on the ear that they knew had a loss. The first time they did both ears even though she was only referred for the left.
    They give you the results right away so if the test takes 3 hours you might be there longer If they do confirm a loss. They gave us referrals for EI, hearing programs, and follow up testing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"