January 2013 Moms
Options

Garbage can?

This question should have gone on the weekly post to ask STM's but I missed it so I am just going to make a new one... I am a FTM and have heard through the grape vine that the diaper genies are a waste of money. What kind of garbage can should I get for the nursery then? Is there a specific one/bag/method you use if you don't have the diaper genie?! TIA for your advice :)

Re: Garbage can?

• Options
    I have a plain ol' SimpleHuman step-can in our nursery.  As long as you empty the bin every other day you will be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageReyka9:
    I have a plain ol' SimpleHuman step-can in our nursery.  As long as you empty the bin every other day you will be fine.

We are doing the same thing. I'm way too cheap to buy those expensive liners for the diaper genie.  

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have the diaper pail that takes any bags - we have a stock pile of target plastic sacks from before we used reusable bags and that's what we put in there. We emptied it when it got full - never really had a smell problem.
  • Options
    I used a diaper genie and really liked it....
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemrsodonnell12:

This.  I tried using a regular trash bag, and it stank too much. 

photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We use a Baby Trend Diaper Champ and will do the same this time.  I love it.  It obviously smells when you open it but it definitely keeps those smells in when closed.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagemrsodonnell12:

We have the diaper genie (that I really like!) for the odd disposable that we use, but a regular trash can (with cloth bag liner) for cloth.  We use disposables so rarely that the diaper genie does help with the smell, and we don't have to run out to the yard to dispose of the diaper in the outside trash every time.

Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• Options
    I really like our arm hammer diaper pail. It has special bags, but I think it's still cheaper than the diaper genie. I've never noticed a diaper smell. Also, pretty frequently, I just throw wet diapers in the regular trash.
  • Options

imagemrsodonnell12:

Ditto this... we stopped using it when now since DD is basically potty trained and only wears pull ups at night. We have so few pull ups that I just throw them in with our regular trash that goes out every day or two.

• Options

We are just going to buy a steel step-can. I read somewhere that plastic garbage bins absorb/emit more of the odor and steel is better keeping it out. I asked DH if he'd be willing to take the bags out pretty much daily, and he said yes, so in that case I think we can go without a diaper genie.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

After reading a lot of different reviews and blogs, I registered for a Diaper Genie. Friends of mine who have it all love it. Nothing is going to completely mask the smell, but it seems like the Diaper Genie got the best reviews as far as that goes.

This is slightly off-topic, but has anyone seen the Cat Genie? I think it's the same as a diaper genie, but made smaller and it's for scooping the litter box. I kind of want one!

Ashley Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imageSmashdance:

After reading a lot of different reviews and blogs, I registered for a Diaper Genie. Friends of mine who have it all love it. Nothing is going to completely mask the smell, but it seems like the Diaper Genie got the best reviews as far as that goes.

This is slightly off-topic, but has anyone seen the Cat Genie? I think it's the same as a diaper genie, but made smaller and it's for scooping the litter box. I kind of want one!

I've seen it, I think it's called the Litter Locker.  I would love to have one but DH is the one that changes the litter while I'm pregnant and he doesn't bother do to it more than once a week anyway since it's in our basement under the stairs.  Maybe when I can start doing it again I will get it and scoop it daily.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageSmashdance:

Ha, I saw a commercial for a Cat Genie the other day and I laughed because it looks just like the Diaper Genie. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    We used a diaper genie for upstairs--could last several days before it needed to be emptied with no problem and downstairs we use a plastic grocery bag that we leave in the garage. We don't use the genie much at all anymore since we are changing a lot fewer diapers now, but it was nice to have when we needed it and we'll definitely be using it again.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Just getting a step open lid can from Target.
  • Options
    imageSmiley-1980:
    imageSmashdance:

I've seen it, I think it's called the Litter Locker.  I would love to have one but DH is the one that changes the litter while I'm pregnant and he doesn't bother do to it more than once a week anyway since it's in our basement under the stairs.  Maybe when I can start doing it again I will get it and scoop it daily.

This drives me absolutely crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dh does the same thing then gets mad when they poop on the floor in the basement. Um, hello?! They would use the litter box if it was clean! 7 months in and this concept still hasnt sunk in.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    image==N==:
    imageSmiley-1980:
    imageSmashdance:

This drives me absolutely crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dh does the same thing then gets mad when they poop on the floor in the basement. Um, hello?! They would use the litter box if it was clean! 7 months in and this concept still hasnt sunk in.

I can top you on this one.  DH empties litter box about once per month.  Granted, I think our cats do tend to go outside more than in, but STILL.  I have actually put on gloves and a mask and just done it myself a few times when I can't stand it.  DH is a gem in MANY ways...cat box cleaning not being one of them. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"