2nd Trimester
Options

Excruciating pain- wtf?!

I'm a stomach sleeper but I am putting my best effort into sleeping on my sides. I've invested in a body pillow to help me stay in this position or at least prop part of my body up when I do need to lie on my stomach. But it seems that the last few weeks, especially the last few nights, that when I lay down on my side (with or without the pillow between my legs) I have the worst pain when I move. Specifically, it feels like it's in my pelvic bone/pubic area. changing positions just hurts like crazy.

Have any of you had pain like this before?

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

Re: Excruciating pain- wtf?!

• Options

Yep. It's called round ligament pain. Very common in the 2nd trimester.

From WebMD:

Round ligament pain is a sharp pain or jabbing feeling often felt in the lower belly or groin area on one or both sides. It is one of the most common complaints during pregnancy and is considered a normal part of pregnancy. It is most often felt during the second trimester.

https://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/pregnancy-round-ligament-pain

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

It could be symphysis pubis dysfunction which is where your pubic bones start spreading, like they should due to the relaxin hormone, only too early. I had this with my first pg, but only for the last 6 weeks. This time it started around 18 weeks. Turning over in bed is probably the worst pain I experience, but pushing a shopping cart, picking up my 3 year old, and sitting in the same position too long are all painful. For me the pain is at he top of my pubic bone in the front and runs down the side and also in the center of my back down low around my pelvis.

You can google it and if that is what you're experiencing there's not too much that can be done other than trying to keep inflammation down. There are pelvic floor exercises and as your bump gets bigger your doctor may recommend a support belt. Hope that helps and good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageSouthernMom70:

Yep. It's called round ligament pain. Very common in the 2nd trimester.

From WebMD:

Round ligament pain is a sharp pain or jabbing feeling often felt in the lower belly or groin area on one or both sides. It is one of the most common complaints during pregnancy and is considered a normal part of pregnancy. It is most often felt during the second trimester.

https://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/pregnancy-round-ligament-pain

See, the description on webmd isn't really what I'm feeling though. I feel RLP every so often... This is different. Mainly in that the pain is strictly.. well, it feels strictly skeletal (not muscular or with nerves) and strictly in the groin; not in my abdominal area wheras the RLP is in the abdominal and groin areas...

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Options
    I am normally a back sleeper and trying to sleep on my side is annoying.  I wake up in the middle of the night in pain as well.  It feels like I have bed sores or something.  
  • Options
    imageamandagen:

It could be symphysis pubis dysfunction which is where your pubic bones start spreading, like they should due to the relaxin hormone, only too early. I had this with my first pg, but only for the last 6 weeks. This time it started around 18 weeks. Turning over in bed is probably the worst pain I experience, but pushing a shopping cart, picking up my 3 year old, and sitting in the same position too long are all painful. For me the pain is at he top of my pubic bone in the front and runs down the side and also in the center of my back down low around my pelvis.

You can google it and if that is what you're experiencing there's not too much that can be done other than trying to keep inflammation down. There are pelvic floor exercises and as your bump gets bigger your doctor may recommend a support belt. Hope that helps and good luck! 

This. I had this with my first also. Not yet with this one, thank goodness.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageamandagen:

This.  I started feeling the pain she described a week ago, at 16 weeks--and I first noticed it in bed.  It's my first pregnancy.  My OB said this is what is going on.  She's given me exercises, and she is having me come in for a pelvic adjustment to try to ease some of the discomfort--but as PP said, she warns that it will likely be an ongoing thing since the hormones are relaxing everything in there.

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"