Natural Birth
Options

Where to start?

Hi! I would like to have a med-free birth this time around.

My background: With baby # 1, I went into labor at 38.5 weeks. I was unhappy that even though my water broke on its own, the hospital pushed pitocin on me (claimed that if I didn't deliver within 24 hours on my own there was risk of infection etc etc).

I waited as long as I could, and then got the epidural which slowed my progression a little bit and I could feel the numbness up into my chin. Not a huge deal and overall I loved my birth experience.

However, this time around I am interested in trying it without meds. I've already made the first step and scheduled my first appointment with a midwife at a birthing center. I can either choose to have the baby there or they will go with me to the hospital.

Do you have any tips - best books, classes, etc. for making this decision? Mostly I am just concerned about the pain preventing me from being as effective when pushing. I don't want to have to push for any longer than necessary LOL!

Also I apologize because I am sure this is a top question asked all the time, so I appreciate your patience. 

Re: Where to start?

• Options

Hi! Congratulations on your pregnancy. :) 

That's great that you're seeing a midwife at a birthing center; I am too (this is also my second baby, and I had a hospital birth with my first), and I'm loving the options that are available to me at my midwife's birth center. As far as books, I would recommend anything by Ina May Gaskin. Also "Your Best Birth" by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein, and I would recommend watching their documentary "The Business of Being Born" as well. It's available on Netflix if you have it.

With classes, the popular ones right now are Hypnobirthing and the Bradley method. I took the Hypnobirthing class during my first pregnancy (feel free to PM me if you are interested in my experience with it), and I'm planning on taking the Bradley class this time around, to try something different. Also, I cannot stress this enough; if you have a little extra $$, I would strongly suggest hiring a doula for your birth.

HTH! Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track. I agree with PP's suggestions, especially with hiring a doula. I did Hypnobabies and liked it. I didn't use it during the labor but I felt zero contractions before I woke up in hard labor and I think Hypnobabies helped with that.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pain of pushing stopping you up. Pushing was very painful for me and I only pushed for 15 minutes because I wanted it to be OVER. In fact I wish it would have slowed me down because then maybe I wouldn't have torn like I did.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I found Bradley classes to be really helpful.  I know there are other methods out there that women have found helpful as well, I just don't have any personal experience with them and Bradley worked for us, twice.  Natural Birth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon is the first book I recommend for women considering a natural birth.

I think it's great that you are looking into a birthing center.  If you end up going to a hospital, are there any other hospitals in your area that might be more natural birth friendly?  I don't like that the last hospital pushed pitocin on you.

In regards to your concern about pushing epi free, from everything I've read I think you actually may be able to push more efficiently without the epi because you will really be able to feel the urge to push and know when to bear down.  Practicing relaxation techniques will help you cope with the pain during labor.

Good Luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Congrats!  You are already on the right track!  I had a natural hospital birth with a midwife back in May and have nothing but amazing things to say about my birthing experience. (I had PROM as well and was worried about the 24 hour timeline since I had to go to the hospital right away for antibotics.) 

My husband and I took Bradley classes and they were critical for us, being as this was our first child.  They are costly though but some insurances will pay for or give you some money back for them so be sure to check!  (It was completely worth the 300 we spent.) 

The most important thing IMO, above books, classes, etc, is having a team that 1. understands  your desires 2. is willing to freely advocate for your desires.  When I told my midwife that I wanted a med free birth, she made it very clear to the nurse that there was to be no mention of pain meds unless I brought it up.  Now I say team because you may want your mother, sister, whomever in the room with you.  If you have one "weak link" whispering the "wonderful world of pain meds" in your ear the chain will most likely break.  Everyone in there should be on your side and be well aware of your wants, needs, and desires!

Good luck!!

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• Options
    bornmommy, that's interesting that you mention PROM. they never mentioned that to me and I was having regular contractions on my own....so I think perhaps it wasn't prom? but now I would be curious to read my record to see what they said! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"