C-sections

Scheduled c-section birth plan

I have been searching for something online for a scheduled c-section but I'm not really finding anything.  Does anyone on here have something I can use or go by to create a birth plan for a c-section?  I guess a better question is do I really need a birth plan for a scheduled c-section?

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

Re: Scheduled c-section birth plan

• I don't know that you would need one. At least for me, there wasn't a whole lot that i really had a say in. The only things they asked me were if I was breastfeeding and if I wanted the baby to have a Hep B shot. 

What were you thinking that you would put on the birth plan? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would say you don't need one.  Once mine was scheduled and we confirmed our daughter was still breech at around 35-36 weeks - any plan went out the window.  I always wanted to try to have a natural, vaginal birth but... clearly that wasn't in the plans.  Your birth plan: scheduled c section!  Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never had a c-section birth plan and all 4 of mine have been scheduled.

If you scroll a few pages, I remember someone posting one, things like:

- catheter after spinal

- arms not pinned down

etc.......

GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I am not sure what I want on there but from the sounds of it I don't really need one.  My doctor and I have talked about some things (not tying hands down, catheter after spinal, etc...) I just didn't know if I SHOULD have one.  I don't want to have to make one it just seems that everyone else has one but they aren't doing a scheduled c-section.

Thanks for the tips and stuff! 

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• The big ones I can think of are:

Not having your hands tied

Lowering the screen and/or using a mirror so you can actually see LO being born if you so desire

Skin to skin immediately

BF immediately

Delay all newborn procedures until you are out of recovery and have had a chance for skin to skin and BFing.

If LO needs to go to the nursery for any reason your DH should accompany him. 

Those are just some ideas. Really all of those things should be standard, but they aren't and it can be helpful to have them written down.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Do they really tie women's hands down for a c-section? Mine were spread out to my side, but they weren't tied down...
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageUberBiz:
    Do they really tie women's hands down for a c-section? Mine were spread out to my side, but they weren't tied down...

Yes, they do. They did this for my first 3 c-sections, but not for my 4th. I'm actually glad they did since I panicked MAJORLY during my first c-section....... 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I would say you do not need a birth plan. I did not have one with DD 1 and don't have one this time either. I basically just followed the doctor?s/nurses orders as it they came.     

• imageUberBiz:
    Do they really tie women's hands down for a c-section? Mine were spread out to my side, but they weren't tied down...

Yep, they do.  Mine was emer c/s, but as they were tying them down they said theey were doing it because they didn't want me trying to "help" get DD out.  Makes sense, I can imagine some people panic and would be trying to reach around. 

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had no idea that they routinely tied arms down for CS. Interesting. My last CS was an emergency and I was under general anesthesia so I wasn't aware of anything happening.  Thanks for the info

We are planning a VBAC, but I do have a CS section of my birth plan "just in case" I copied it below along with other parts of my Birth Plan. I have done some reading about "natural CS" and this would be my goal if things go that way.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Cesarean Section Delivery

?  If a cesarean is necessary, I expect to be fully informed of all procedures and actively participate in decision-making and possibly get a second opinion if time allows.

?  I would like my husband to be present during the surgery

?  Please explain the surgery to me and allow me to view as it happens (no sheet between us) As much of a ?Natural? or ?Gentle? Cesarean as possible.

?  I would like baby to be placed on me skin to skin as it would be in a vaginal birth

Newborn Care

?  I would like baby to be held by myself or husband at all times including during APGAR and other assessments.

?  No erythromycin eye treatment

?  No Hepatitis B Vaccine

Breastfeeding

?  I plan to breastfeed and want to nurse immediately following the birth.

?  Please do not give supplements or pacifier (including formula, glucose, or plain water) without my consent.

?  I would like to meet with the staff lactation consultant.

Visitors

?  I do not mind if medical students, residents, or interns are present for the birth, however I reserve the right to change my mind.

?  I would like to hold off family and visitors until after I have had a chance to breastfeed the baby.

?  My husband will be responsible for giving the okay for when and if visitors are allowed in the room during labor/delivery and after delivery

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • Eeee sorry for weird copy and paste stuff Smile
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • imageLucky_N_Love:

Cesarean Section Delivery

?  If a cesarean is necessary, I expect to be fully informed of all procedures and actively participate in decision-making and possibly get a second opinion if time allows.

?  I would like my husband to be present during the surgery

?  Please explain the surgery to me and allow me to view as it happens (no sheet between us) As much of a ?Natural? or ?Gentle? Cesarean as possible.

?  I would like baby to be placed on me skin to skin as it would be in a vaginal birth

Newborn Care

?  I would like baby to be held by myself or husband at all times including during APGAR and other assessments.

?  No erythromycin eye treatment

?  No Hepatitis B Vaccine

Breastfeeding

?  I plan to breastfeed and want to nurse immediately following the birth.

?  Please do not give supplements or pacifier (including formula, glucose, or plain water) without my consent.

?  I would like to meet with the staff lactation consultant.

Visitors

?  I do not mind if medical students, residents, or interns are present for the birth, however I reserve the right to change my mind.

?  I would like to hold off family and visitors until after I have had a chance to breastfeed the baby.

?  My husband will be responsible for giving the okay for when and if visitors are allowed in the room during labor/delivery and after delivery

This is excellent! I had C/S with my first, and they took my DD away. I only got to "hold" her for like 2 minutes, after she had been washed and bundled. Then I was wheeled into recovery for an hour without my baby. My hubby was with her during that time, but it was the longest hour of my life. YES, you need a birth plan. Find out what the hospital policies are about recovery after surgery, etc. It is your baby and you should be able to hold him/her right away.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"