2nd Trimester
Options

Blood test to determine fetal blood type

At my 20wk appointment yesterday my midwife mentioned a blood test that can determine fetal blood type for Rh- mamas so they won't need the RhoGam if baby is Rh- as well. She also said it can determine fetal gender very early on in pregnancy. Apparently this test is new in Kansas and she forgot to mention it to me earlier on. We were kind of interrupted when we were discussing it by a call from L&D at the hospital and I totally forgot to bring it back up once she came back in the room. I've been trying to find info on it online but all I am finding is an at home blood test to find out gender. Pretty sure that's not what I'm looking for. Anyone know the name of the test so I can look into it? I already know baby is a girl but it would be nice to know if she is Rh- so I can skip out on RhoGam if it isn't necessary. TIA!

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Blood test to determine fetal blood type

• Options

imageLoisLane23:
    I got a shot at 28 weeks and then they waited until after I delivered and tested baby. Since baby was positive, I got another shot.

That's how it's always been for me, as well. I always get the shot at 28 weeks and anytime I have any significant bleeding during pregnancy, for precaution. And then at birth once the babies blood has been typed I receive the injection if they are Rh+.. so far 3/5 have been +.

However, if there is a simple blood test that can tell me her blood type while I am pregnant BEFORE the routine 28wk injection, then I'm all about avoiding an unnecessary shot if this baby is Rh-. Just can't find any info about it online. I go back in 12 days for my A/S so I'll ask more about it then if no one knows the name of the test I'm talking about. :)

• Options
    My MW was telling me about this too! But she said it probably won't be used until I'm PG with #3 if we decide to have more. It's crazy to think that they can tell baby's blood type and gender by testing your blood! I guess the test is extremely precise too.  It'll be interesting to see in a couple years when all the sex reveal posts start in 1st tri! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageLaurelBee:
    My MW was telling me about this too! But she said it probably won't be used until I'm PG with #3 if we decide to have more. It's crazy to think that they can tell baby's blood type and gender by testing your blood! I guess the test is extremely precise too.  It'll be interesting to see in a couple years when all the sex reveal posts start in 1st tri! 

They do the blood test now where they can tell you the sex. I think it is part of the NT scan stuff. It starts with an "M" and has 21 in it. (I think. I might be mistaking that test for something else.) I can't for the life of me find it on either board now. :(

Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    imagedoeie04:

imageLaurelBee:

They do the blood test now where they can tell you the sex. I think it is part of the NT scan stuff. It starts with an "M" and has 21 in it. (I think. I might be mistaking that test for something else.) I can't for the life of me find it on either board now. :(

Lurking from first tri- it's called MaterniT21 I believe. I'm not familiar with it, but I've seen it mentioned on the boards :)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagecaroline1212:
    imagedoeie04:

imageLaurelBee:

YESSSS!!! Thank you! It was bugging me! :D

Lurking from first tri- it's called MaterniT21 I believe. I'm not familiar with it, but I've seen it mentioned on the boards :)  

Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks for the responses, ladies! She didn't mention it screening for any chromosonal abnormalities, so I don't think it's the MaterniT21 screening, but I could definitely be wrong. At any rate, I'm going to bring it up at my a/s on the 12th. If this baby happens to be Rh-, I'd love to skip out on an unnecessary RhoGam shot at 28wks. :)
  • Options
    I plan on asking about this. We were part of the study back in 2010 and I was told it should be available soon. I don't know what its called. I know it's fetal rhd genotyping. I think it was also a study conducted by sequenom.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"