January 2013 Moms
Options

Steel Cut Oats

So I read some where steel cut oats are good for BF moms. I'm an oats fan so I thought I'd try them out. They were on sale at Auldi so I picked up a can. I'm used to my 1 minute instant oats, these take like 30 mins to cook!!!! I'm sure I've seen overnight slow cooker recipes. But does anyone have a tried and true recipe you'd be wiling to share?
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Steel Cut Oats

• Options
    I don't have a different recipe, but I do have some advise.  DH and I eat these all the time.  We make a large pot full on Sunday night.  Then we just heat up a serving (I usually add milk and raisins to mine) in the microwave each morning for breakfast.  This way it only takes us time on the weekends, and a minute during the week.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options

I have been making these on Sunday and eating all week long!

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-baked-pu-159872 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMom2anAngel2:
    I don't have a different recipe, but I do have some advise.  DH and I eat these all the time.  We make a large pot full on Sunday night.  Then we just heat up a serving (I usually add milk and raisins to mine) in the microwave each morning for breakfast.  This way it only takes us time on the weekends, and a minute during the week.
    How much milk do you put in with the oats in the microwave? I've thought about doing a large batch like this, but was concerned about the oats drying out in the microwave.
    imageimageimage
    26 years old, married since June 2009, DS born 1/19/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Dear Baby Pacheco...
  • Options

imagelaurapacheco:
    imageMom2anAngel2:
    How much milk do you put in with the oats in the microwave? I've thought about doing a large batch like this, but was concerned about the oats drying out in the microwave.

I don't measure it, but it is about a 1/2 cup of milk (just enough to be able to mix it in when it is hot).  It definately prevents them from drying out.

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

• Options
    image010706:

This sounds delicious!

Lilypie - (0YVF)

• Options
    I thought oats in general were good for breastfeeding. Is it only steel cut oats?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageMom2anAngel2:

This is what I do too. Make one big pot and then just reheat throughout the week as I want them. Works well and I actually like them better this way because they thicken up in the fridge. Smile

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imageMom2anAngel2:
    image010706:

This sounds delicious!

I agree! Definitely fall like!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I buy the steel cut oats from Trader Joes that take 5-7 minutes to cook on the stove top.  They can also cook in the microwave for a little less time.  Trader Joes also sells a Steel cut oats already cooked in their freezer section and all you do is microwave them.  They are a little pricier for just 2 portions so I find the canister of the oats to be a better value.

• Options

imageMom2anAngel2:

I do this every week too!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageBLPL101:
    imageMom2anAngel2:
    image010706:

This sounds delicious!

I agree! Definitely fall like!

They are so good and so easy to make! Also, when reheating these in the microwave, very little milk is needed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"