Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Applesauce - does it help or hurt constipation?

I've already googl.ed it, but I'm curious as to what you think/what your experiences have been. 

Henry and Papa at the farm
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Applesauce - does it help or hurt constipation?

• Options
    PS - this post is in reference to a 6 month old, not my son pictured in my siggy.
  • Options

Applesauce should make them more constipated, not help them.  Apple juice should help. 

If you want purees that help instead of juice, try any of the Ps - pears, peaches, prunes, peas.  Peaches clear my daughter right out! 

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMollySm:

Applesauce should make them more constipated, not help them.  Apple juice should help. 

If you want purees that help instead of juice, try any of the Ps - pears, peaches, prunes, peas.  Peaches clear my daughter right out! 

Well... I tried peaches last night. Result: TBD.... I asked because my daycare provider suggested applesauce; said it always worked on her kids, etc. So, I figure every kid is different. Thanks for your reply! 

• Options

Helps- and does so with my LO. Also, pears are amazing!

Why would Apple juice help and apple sauce not? That makes no sense.

Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
  • Options
    imageLesleyjking:

According to my goog.le search, apples have pectin, which binds poo, while the water and sugars in juice loosen the stool.  

• Options
    According to our pedi, it causes constipation.  So do bananas.  Try prunes, apricots, pears.
  • Options
    Prune Juice all the way. It's magic.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So far apples have backed up DS. I have been giving prunes or pears along with the apples now, which seems to balance everything out.

• Options
    imageMonkeysGirl05:
    imageLesleyjking:

According to my goog.le search, apples have pectin, which binds poo, while the water and sugars in juice loosen the stool.  

This is correct. Applesauce with make constipation worse because of the pectin. Apple juice "helps". (I put that in quotes because I am generally not a fan of juice for LOs). Stick to the Ps. DD2 is normally an everyday pooper. She went 2 days without going. I fed her peaches for breakfast. Peas and pears for both lunch and supper. Also cut out any rice based finger food. Worked like a charm!

• Options
    imageMonkeysGirl05:
    imageLesleyjking:

Interesting how strange
    So far it has loosened ours!
    Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
  • Options
    It didn't help LO go when I tried it over the weekend. I did prunes on Monday and that worked very well and within an hour. He wasn't constipated though. 
  • Options
    Applesauce or pear puree works every time for us. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We use prunes if it's been more than 2 days. Once she went 3 days and we gave her an ounce of warm water with a tablespoon of prune juice. Worked like a charm!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've never heard applesauce making lo constipated. Banana yes, apples no.

If lo is that constipated, give a little prune juice cut with water...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"