Special Needs

Is this common?

This month we moved to Florida where there seems is a push to apply for goverment assisted programs for special needs children (FDLRS), in addition we mention that we want to place him into preschool, and they push for another government run program - VPK - which will provide free preschool to all children.

DS has SPD, and I'm trying to find a school which can accomidate him and his needs or summer and/or PreK4.  He has never been in school before, and has only been home with me.

Now upon entering school he will be a very young 4 (4yrs.,3mo)  

Financially speaking we are able to accommodate DS without these programs, so I am not sure why there is such a push for government assistance..,Is this common? 

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Is this common?

• He's been in preschool before, hasn't he?  I was sure you had posted about trying more than one preschool.

Government programs are dependant on use, that's how they receive funding.  More users/demand = more funding.  I suspect that is why you might feel pushed. 

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • By "government assisted" programs do you mean your local school district SN preschool? I've never really thought of them as "government assistance"- it's just school. They receive federal special ed dollars to operate. Do you mean you'd rather send your child to a private SN pre-4K? 

I'm sure some parents do circumvent the public schools and rely wholly on private therapy. My son started public school ASD Preschool at 21 months- and yes, it felt WAY too young. I had a heart-to-heart with a lot of people, including his social worker at the school and his pedi- and they all agreed that it was best for him (and he did great!). Our developmental pedi recommended that we continue our public school EI program in addition to the private therapies we receive. I can't imagine NOT doing both, but in my area the public programs have teachers and therapists who are much more experienced. For example, DS public school teachers each have about 25 years of experience working with autistic children. His private therapists have been certified for just a few years. They are all great, and all compliment each other.

I'm not sure if I'm getting at what you're asking, but my general impression of this process with SN kids is to take everything we're offered. If there were a private therapy that I truly thought was "better" then perhaps I'd feel differently. I do remember feeling like there wasn't very much "sensitivity" to the process when we began- DS was diagnosed ASD by the school district when he was 19 months, and just a couple months later they were ready to stick him on a school bus and send him to school. It was a really difficult time and I felt really betrayed, like it wasn't fair that my son not only had to have ASD, he was being forced to "grow up" so fast. In the end I realized it was best for him- he thrived in the structured environment and I've been amazed at how well he has adapted. I've learned he is capable of far more than I give him credit for!

• Loading the player...
  • Not once have I even been told about government assistance, transportation reimbursements or any financial aid available via Early Intervention. Tongue Tied

Other parents, in neighboring counties, have told me that they get that stuff practically thrown in their face. Huh?

Unfortunately, I am sure I am being 'profiled'. We don't look like we need help, I guess. It would be nice to be asked. Makes you feel like your the last pick for a team or something....Stick out tongue

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• I spoke with one of his OTs after this post...

FDLRS is an organization through the Florida Dept of Education. It allows for children to find not only a preschool placement but it will provide therapy within the school. Any private therapy is funded by us as a parent.

They will not diagnosis a child, its simply to help with a child with special needs to find the proper support he/she needs.

I was getting so confused by what FDLRS actually was...either way, if a child enters the public school and he/she may enounter FDLRS.

Are there any organizations like this, in your area?

I swear you need a book/map for all of this information when your new to this...

photo notebook.jpg 

• Hi! We are in Florida as well. My son is three and just started public pre-school in August. I was very apprehensive at first, but I have found the quality of care to be really excellent; he is thriving! I am by no means an expert on this process, but I'm happy to share my experience and/or try to answer questions. I'm definitely still in the learning phase myself!
  • I will add (not sure if it makes a difference) but we just relocated to Broward County (DS went through early steps in Alachua County).
  • imagebparkhur:
    I will add (not sure if it makes a difference) but we just relocated to Broward County (DS went through early steps in Alachua County).

Yay for Broward! South East Florida here too!

We will be applying to FDLRS this month.  I am not sure of which school DS will be attending come fall, sadly there aren't any public PreK's in my school district. :(

That being said, I hope that they will help me find the right school for us.  I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue with PreK's & school districts.

photo notebook.jpg 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"