October 2011 Moms
Options

Stupid question.

DS hates whole milk.  Won't drink it.  I have tried.  No joy.   Yesterday I was drinking a glass of skim and he started pointing at it and yelling.  I got him some whole milk and he wouldn't drink it.  DH gave him some skim (just a little) and he loved it! If I keep giving him formula is there anything wrong giving him skim milk and slowly adding whole milk until he gets used to it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Stupid question.

• Options
    I dont see a problem with that. We dont drink cows milk in our house. We drink rice milk, almond milk or soy milk. My DS gets soy or rice and he still nurses and gets plenty of fats from yogurt and cheese. 
  • Options
    There are plenty of food sources for fat. If you are going to give anything other than WCM all the time you need to research and add extra fat to equal what they aren't getting from the milk. Like lisajay said, the formula isn't enough at this point. It can be done it just involves research and meal planning/extra work prepping the babys food. I would call your pedi and say you're he's refusing WCM and see what they suggest. Our pedis have been super helpful with nutrition questions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Formula is actually fine until age 2. It is what is recommended for LO that cannot drink whole cow milk.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

When I was doing some research about skipping cows milk for LOs, I found several articles saying that 1 or 2% is actually fine instead of whole depending on the rest of their diet.  It's worth seeing what those articles say (sorry, I don't know where they are anymore, but a Google search should bring them up) and then figuring out what works best for your DS.

But if you're planning on mixing the skim with the whole to get him used to the taste, why not do it with the formula instead of the skim?

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• Options
    Well, the pediatric Registered Dietician said otherwise about formula. It's whole milk, breast milk OR formula til age two. those are the official recommendations in the medical community you can find anywhere.

What would not be appropriate would be using a milk alternative like almond and assuming it was sufficient, since its lacking in the nutrients the other 3 provide. Milk alternatives aren't recommended before age two.

They like you to transition to whole milk because toddlers usually get enough solids that the combo is sufficient. Transitioning to milk is easier and far cheaper and thats why it is done but formula IS an acceptable alternative. Formula alone certainly isn't enough obviously, but it is fine with solids til age two.

For OP I would just mix WCM into the formula gradually and see if that helps.

• Options
    My point was that OPs kid isn't going to suffer any because the transition to formula is going slowly. A few more weeks to make the change would be fine, since there are children like mine who will remain on formula much longer than that.

Formula, which is a wide term encompassing hypo and elemental, is an accepted form of food for the under2 set when needed.

And nothing you said really negates that because feeding tube kids are still getting, yep, formula. In a way we aren't saying anything different. Not ALL cases are so severe that they need specially weighed elemental formula, that's mostly kids with no/few foods. When hypoallergenic formula is sufficient it is a fine alternative.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"