December 2011 Moms
Options

Thinking ahead to Christmas Tree

Any suggestions for keeping the Christmas Tree safe from baby? I can only imagine the hell Finley will put our tree through. I was thinking of getting a baby gate for around it, but that just ruins the whole thing for me! Any ideas?

My MIL suggested we get a fake tree, but I love going to chop the tree down and bringing it home. I love the smell....but pine needles with a baby might not be the best idea.

What are you guys doing? 

Re: Thinking ahead to Christmas Tree

• Options
    I'm not sure yet. We currently have a not too mobile baby (only rolls to get where he wants, no crawling or walking yet).  But I know it will probably be different by Christmas.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We bought a fake 3 ft tree today. We will put baby friendly decorations on it. Next year she will be more able to following directions regarding leaving a big tree alone. This year we want her to experience as much wonder and fun as possible. I thought a big tree would be too enticing and frustrating.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We do a real tree - the thing is, they're pretty much the same weight or lighter as the fake ones and depending on your stand, it's entirely possible that the real tree will be sturdier than a fake one.  The fake one I have easily tips over.  When DD was small we got a real one that went on our coffee table (4x4' so it wasn't a small table) then put the ornaments up high enough that she couldn't reach.  What we'll likely do is to just put the ornaments up high enough that DS can't reach or just simply not let him out by it except for the pictures.. 

One thing I do to make the whole pine needle thing easier - make sure you shake the heck out of it at the tree farm after you cut it and keep it well hydrated.  Also, purchase some clear vinyl from the fabric store to put under the tree if you've got carpet.  It makes it so easy to just sweep or vac them up instead of dealing with the carpet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    We're putting the breakable ornaments up top, plastic on the bottom and will just redirect as needed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have a fake tree (always have), and I'm debating putting it up in the den (vs the family room) since she's gated off from the den.  That or I will buy a baby jail to put around the tree.  DD is walking and I have no doubts that a tree would not last around her.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagemichelle142:

We always get a real tree and we're doing the baby panels also. I scored 3 sets from a friend with triplets so we have plenty.
    I've considered putting the tree on our sunporch though....a different room than we usually use that's easily blockable from LO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The tree was never really a problem with my older daughter. When she was 1 she did really like to go up and touch the lights, but she never tried to pull anything off of it. We do an artificial tree at home and a real tree at the family lake house where we actually celebrate Christmas. We do softer, non-breakable ornaments on the bottom of the tree and breakables up high. Honestly, its been a non-issue in the past, so I'm not worrying about it this year.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not sure if we are doing real or fake yet but we will also be using the baby gate panels to block it off.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

When we were young we would always have the tree higher up (on a wooden toy box) and attached the top to the wall witha  piece of string, this was because then the dog couldn't get to it and the cats couldn't knock it down.

Now we have to have a plastic one (allergies also), but I think I may still put it higher and attach to the wall, just in case. If it becomes a problem, I will move the tree into a room that is gated off already.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"