Pregnant after 35

Genetic screening

Here in CA doctors recommend doing extra screening and blood tests when you are over 35. (what is it with that number anyway, was it magically picked out of a hat?) Anyway, for you who have had the extra blood work and U/S, was it worth it? Do you feel confident with the results?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Genetic screening

• Well apparently fertility starts to drop off after 35, enough that they gave it the name ama. It doesn't always mean anything for alot of us though.

I don't know what you mean if it was worth it.  Mine don't cost me anything extra so I don't have any reason to say no.  Some women choose not to do the tests because it can add unnecessary stress or if they are very expensive.  Its just what you are comfortable with.  I am getting all of the blood tests and ultrasounds offered to me and so far results have been good and are very reassuring.  If you get questionable results you always have the option of a cvs or amnio to confirm if you would like to go that route. 

TTC since Dec. 2010. Me: 37, DH: 38...unexplained RPL
    BFP #1 - missed m/c 4.18.11 found @8w3d, d&c @13w 
    BFP #2 blighted ovum found 8.2011 @8w, misoprostol
    BFP#3 - missed m/c 6.11.12 @ 9w3d, d&c revealed extra chromosome 15
    BFP#4 8.10.12, DD born 4/26/13
  • I had the extras with both my kids;  felt very secure in the answers I got with my first pregnancy.  With the second, the NP read me the results and read them wrong (and not in a good way);  they called later that day to let me know of the error but by then I had no trust so I did the amnio.  Otherwise, yes I would've been confident if they hadnt made an error with the reporting.  For me it was worth doing the extras--even the amnio (I'd do it again in a heartbeat if the situation was the same)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I did the quad screening and it definitely has caused some stress. The 1st tri blood work came back 1:32 for Downs. The NT scan was in the normal range. The 2nd tri blood work came back 1:7 for Downs. But I had the Harmony Test done which looks at the fetal DNA and came back 1:10,000 for Downs. Having the quad screen be so different from the Harmony Test definitely has caused tears and confusion. My genetics counselor told me to trust the Harmony results because they are far more accurate. DH and I are concerned that we were automatically set up for low numbers because I am 41. If they just compared the levels regardless of age, I might have more belief in the results. I would absolutely do the Harmony Test again, but I don't honestly know about the quad screening. Its just a comparison of certain factors to other women who have had chromosomal abnormalities and has a high rate of false positives. I have heard many stories of women getting positive results on the screening who end up with healthy babies. I am hoping that one day the Harmony Test will be expanded and the replacement for the quad screening. 
    May PAL Siggy Challenge - Mom Humor
    TTC Since June 2009 
    BFP #1 - 1/15/12, EDD 9/21/12, Missed M/C - 2/10/12 - I miss you Sapphire!

BFP #2 - 7/1/12 - Met my lucky charm Alexandra on 3-16-13!!!

image image image 
    AL always welcome! 

• I had it with my first and I am going to do it again. Chances are, everything will be ok and its nice to have the reassurance. If there is a problem, I want to have the time to prepare ourselves for whatever challenges might be ahead. For example, if either or both of the babies have Downs, I want to learn everything we can and talk to other people so are as prepared as possible. I wouldn't want that surprise at delivery. Like everything else, its a personal choice. Do what is right for you and your family.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"