August 2011 Moms
Options

re-intro!

At the prompting of WashingtonQueen over on the TTGP board, I am re-introducing myself back to the board.  I lurk around on here, but have been a bit more active with the FB group for convenience sake.  

A bit of an update (maybe some of you remember me): I have a son, Andrew and we are prepping to move to Kenya in 9 weeks (ok, a toddler and packing do not mix!).   We are also TTC again (we did lose a baby at the end of August - a day before I was 14 weeks).  I guess we just want to do all the big things at once...you know, move internationally and have another baby :)  

Um, I'm in Cincy right now...freezing!  (We moved from FL earlier this year.)  And if anyone wants to ever do a play date b/n now and the end of the year and you're in the area...let me know!  

Ok, hope to post more and keep a bit more active!  Happy Tuesday, ladies!  

Re: re-intro!

• Options

Yay! So glad that you are here!!

I am very sorry for your loss. :(

• Options

Welcome back!

I remember you and also remember reading about your loss on March 2013 - I am very sorry and I hope you are able to give Andrew a little sibling soon.

Now I want to know more about Kenya! Why are you moving there? Is that a permanent move? That sounds so cool! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi! What an exciting life you've got there! So sorry for you're loss, love your up beat attitude! Hope to see you on often.
  • Options
    imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:

Welcome back!

I remember you and also remember reading about your loss on March 2013 - I am very sorry and I hope you are able to give Andrew a little sibling soon.

Now I want to know more about Kenya! Why are you moving there? Is that a permanent move? That sounds so cool! 

Thanks!!  Oh, me too...I want him to have a sibling so bad.  Just a constant playmate.  He loves when he gets to hang out with other kids and his face just lights up....so I'm wanting him to have that with a brother or sister!  

So, Kenya.  We are doing missions (church group) and we are headed over there for 3 years.  I think we will continue to keep going back but 3 years is our 1st term.  I lived there previously for a couple years when I was single, but now I'm going back with my H & my son.  My H is ALL about sports...so he's focusing on sports outreach to folks there.  Secretly, he's trying to convert the Asian folks there from cricket to soccer.  Shh, don't tell them!  He despises cricket so much ;)  I'm finishing up my doula training and then I hope to become a midwife over there (there's a good school in Nairobi for that) and then use that to help women out.  

Anyways, we're totally excited.  We leave in 9 weeks and I. feel. overwhelmed.  So much packing...shopping for some items...saying good-byes...time with family.  

If anyone has tips on long flights with a toddler...please!  I'm all ears.  I've started to do some research on the subject...but if you have some first hand experience, I'd love to hear.   

• Options
    imageMrsSkull1107:

I don't remember you but welcome back! I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't have experience with a long flight with a child but we did have a 3 hour flight the other day and DD was distracted for almost two hours with stickers. I bought a bazillion of them at the dollar store and let her stick them on herself, me, DH and some paper. She thought they were awesome. It might be a good distraction technique for you!

Great idea!   

• Options

Flight info.  Let them do what they want.  People would much rather have a giggly toddler tap them on the leg and say hello than have a screaming baby stuck in a chair. 

Does you LO watch TV or movies.  Make sure you have his favorites on hand with a protable DVD player or laptop. 

Snacks, Snacks, Snacks and toys toys toys.  Also not a good time to try to take something away. AKA bottle or paci.  Could be a saving grace to let him have his paci whenever he wants on the plane.  If you can book your seat try to see if you can get a seat at the very front.  You get a little bit more room and then you can let him down on the floor.

Hope that helps :) and welcome back!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm in Cincy. :

Welcome back to the board.

We've traveled to the Caribbean with our boys since DS1 was a baby. I think we've gone with them 4 times now. With flight changes and flying time, it ends up bring about 10 hours of travel. Here are my tips.
    Pack your LO a backpack full of wrapped small items. Let your LO unwrap something every hour We have done light up toys, little cars and trucks, markers and crayons, coloring books....you get the idea.
    Pack an insane amount of snacks. Include fruit leathers or fruit snacks. They work well for popping little ears.
    Get a GoGo Babyz it is life changing. We bought ours on eBay. It's a luggage carrier type thing that basically turns your carseat into a stroller. It also buckles right into the plane seat. If your LO falls asleep on the plane and you have to change flights, or get off the plane for any reason, you can roll their carseat down the isle and around the airport.

Good luck :
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"