Special Needs

PDD-NOS?

My DD was diagnosed with PDD-NOS this morning. For those of you with the same diagnosis can you tell me what kinds of therapies you receive? She also has SPD so I'm thinking she'll receive OT therapy but wasn't sure what else.

Our next step is to have an IEP meeting and see about getting her into a special needs preschool (she's currently in a church preschool and it's not meeting her needs).

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PDD-NOS?

• DS has pdd-nos. He receives speech from the special needs preschool from the school district. OT and behavioral are outside services we do. OT is once a week for an hour and behavioral is every 2 weeks for an hour.

I tried to get hippotherapy this morning but unfortunately it is $35 a session and a little over a 40 minute drive each way. DS's health insurance is not accepted.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My little boy has PDD-NOS.  He gets two hours of private speech, 90 minutes of OT, 2 days of developmental Preschool, an hour of developmental specialty, and 12 hours of ABA a week. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • PDD-NOS is an autism spectrum disorder; my DD1 has autism. She receives speech therapy and a small amount of OT (for fine motor issues) at our public preschool; she is in a mainstream preschool class this year and thriving. 

In terms of private therapy, we did about a year of RDI (Relationship Development Intervention) and Floortime/DIR from a speech therapist. Now we're moving toward more Floortime with a child psych, and facilitated play groups to work on social skills.

We've also done a couple of rounds of a therapy play group for high-functioning kids with a variety of issues (sensory, ASD, Fragile X, etc.), where she received social support, speech and OT. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • 3 hours of OT, 1 hour of PT, 1 hour of social group per week.

He also goes to a special needs preschool 5 days a week for 4 hours and an integrated after school program for 2 hours every day.

As you can see, the treatment plan is going to vary greatly even among the same category diagnosis.  It all depends on what your child's specific needs are.

• I took everything that was offered to me- insurance covers 3 hours a week, 1 hr. ST and 2 hr. OT. He goes to a social skills group class and 1 hour of music therapy. He is also in a public school about 15 hours a week in their ASD preschool.
  • It seems like my son is likely to be diagnosed with either PDD-NOS or Asperger's so I'm interested in seeing these replies. My son has already gotten PT, OT and feeding therapy through EI (which we continued after he turned 3) and has a special needs itinerant preschool teacher and also gets itinerant PT and OT through the school district. (He has graduated from a couple of those by now.)

One thing that's been hugely helpful for him with his delays and issues already is that he qualified to keep his EI after he turned 3 through DDSN as an "at-risk child." That might be worth looking into if you don't already have one; having continued service coordination and someone else who will advocate him and make sure we're connected with all available resources has been really helpful. Our ped's practice's SN coordinator is also a wonderful resource. Feel free to PM me if you want specific recs since I know you're local.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Oh and YGPM.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • d.fd.f member
    DS has a PDDNOS Dx. At school per his IEP he gets 30 min each of Speech, OT, and SpEd instruction. He is in an integrated general ed preschool classroom 2.5 hour days/4 days a week.

Through private insurance and OOP expense He gets 1 hr of OT, we just started a 2 hr group speech session, and a 45 min social skills class.

I also do as many playdates as possible. Preferably oneonone or smaller groups of 5 or less.

DS 09/2008

• imagemacchiatto:
    Oh and YGPM.

Responded :-)

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"