June 2012 Moms
Options

Wakeful Question

DD turned 4 mos yesterday and over the past week has been making insane strides! She's very curious and fun and even rolled over for the first time yesterday! YAY!

She has always been a picky eater and now that she is so distracted feeding her is like trying to give a cat a bath. She squirms and pushes her bottle away or hears something and looks around to find it mid bottle. Usually by this time in the day she's had 15oz and we are at 7.5oz. Yikes

My question is... is it normal for babies to eat less during this time? She does get up twice in the night to eat but that is usually only about 6oz of formula.

My concern is that she could lose weight/not get enough nutrition.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Wakeful Question

• Options

As far as I know, they make up for the lost calories with frequent night wakings (ugh!).

My LO is still waking up often and is hard to put down because she is so interested in her surroundings.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Yes. I think the whole thing is that they start waking at night because they are too distracted to eat well during the day.

It's hard to get DS to really nurse unless he's tired. But then he'll eat well for maybe 15 minutes and fall asleep. Otherwise, he takes literally 1 or 2 sucks and rolls away, turn his head, start looking around with his head cranked back, etc.

It gets frustrating, but he gets up once in the night now instead of STTN, so it's not terrible. He eats well in his MOTN feeding and his diaper output is still good so I'm not worried about it.

I'm just confident that when life gets less exciting, he'll sort himself out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS only wakes up once at night....around 5 or 6 then goes back down for 3 more hours.

When he eats I try to feed him in a room by myself so he can't be distracted...I also make sure no music or tv is playing. If he does get distracted I unlatch and burp him then try again.

It's a whole different story if we're in public though lol Yesterday we were at Red Lobster and I was feeding him, I don't use a cover cause DS hates them, and when the waiter came by and asked how we were doing DS unlatched and turned over and gave the guy a HUGE smile while at the same time exposing my nip lmao. I thought it was funny but I think the waiter was embarrassed hehe
  • Options

imageGismo123:
    DS only wakes up once at night....around 5 or 6 then goes back down for 3 more hours. When he eats I try to feed him in a room by myself so he can't be distracted...I also make sure no music or tv is playing. If he does get distracted I unlatch and burp him then try again. It's a whole different story if we're in public though lol Yesterday we were at Red Lobster and I was feeding him, I don't use a cover cause DS hates them, and when the waiter came by and asked how we were doing DS unlatched and turned over and gave the guy a HUGE smile while at the same time exposing my nip lmao. I thought it was funny but I think the waiter was embarrassed hehe

LOL! I can totally see DD doing this. I tried to nurse her w/ the cover at home and she unlatched to look at the cover patterns and kept smiling as if it was the coolest thing ever!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I bottlefeed DS and when he hit 4 months he started drinking less and never finished his bottles. Some nights he would wake twice and others once but was always super hungry when he did. I think it's normal since they are easily distracted.
  • Options

Thanks everyone! I am trying to be less worrisome, she just been hard to feed since Day 1. The minute you think you got the hang of it they change it up! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagealizabethanne:

Thanks everyone! I am trying to be less worrisome, she just been hard to feed since Day 1. The minute you think you got the hang of it they change it up! 

This is exactly DS too. Always been a fussy eater. First on the breast and now with bottles. I think maybe we just have future picky eaters on our hands?? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"