Pregnant after IF
Options

IVF 'Abomination Baby'.....

I posted yesterday about holding my tongue....and about someone expressing their opinion that based on their religious views, a child conceived through IVF is an abomination.

Yes, I had someone say this to me. 

She further added that she believes God will make my 'crooked path straight' and that unconventional ways of conception are against God's design. 

...and of course, she was incredibly fertile. 

Needless to say, our friendship didn't last long. It helped that she moved.... 

Now it's not very nice or Christian-like, but I wanted to say, "Me and my 'abomination baby' will kick your a$$ any day of the week. You name the time & place. But, hey---now's as good a time as any!" 

Did I say that? 

No? 

I pretty much stood there with my jaw hanging open just shocked. Shocked that she had these beliefs and shocked that she would share them with me despite my asking. And I was too stunned to respond. 

So, that's the 411 on THAT. 

And now for today's horror: 

I was at the grocery store. 

Stranger: You look so beautiful pregnant. 

Me: Thank you!

Stranger: Is it a boy or a girl? 

Me: We don't know yet. We are only 10 weeks along.

Stranger: You're already THAT big and you don't know what it is yet?

Again....I didn't respond with some super-perfect snarky come-back. Sometimes I'm just too shocked to say anything right away!

Things I SHOULD have said: 

"So, when are YOU due?"

"You're what....23? How many kids do you have?"...and "How many baby-daddies?"

"F*&% you."

"Wow, you're how old and STILL that stupid?"

Or just start crying on command and wail, "Why would you say that to me!" 

People suck. 

They don't think, and they suck. 

Re: IVF 'Abomination Baby'.....

• Options

That sucks, sorry someone said that to you.

I was an IUI baby. I would love for someone to try to tell me that my life is an abomination!

IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• Options
    I am so sorry that people suck so much.  {{hugs}}
    My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Don't you just LOVE unsolicited advice/comments?

Regarding the "Abomination" lady... it's just sad that people have such narrow ways of thinking. It's so easy to judge having never been though IF. I guarantee that if IVF was her only option of conceiving a biological child, she'd be changing her mind pretty dang quick! Besides, it's none of her freaking business anyway, it's your body, your child, your life.

Regarding the grocery store lady, clearly a case of not thinking before speaking... or just being plain rude. You should have gone preggo crazy on her (or both of them) ;)

(((HUGS)))

Me: 30, DH: 30
    ~*~Married 8/31/08~*~

DX: MFI due to Chemo/Stem Cell Transplant for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. RE said IVF is best option with DH's frozen boys.
    IVF #1 April 2012: Menopur and Bravelle; 1 egg retrieved, 0 fertilized. Boo.
    IVF #2 August 2012: Gonal-F 300, Menopur 300. Beta #1 9/6: 382... BFPx2!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Our boys couldn't wait to meet us! Colin and Kieran arrived March 26, 2013 at 33w1d.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Wow.....just wow!! I am so sorry you had to list to that b!atch say such aweful things to you! Unreal!  As for the grocery store idiot, if there is a next time, you have full permission to go bat sh!t crazy pregnant lady on them!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    The nerve of some people will never stop amazing me!  I'm sorry that you have had to deal with this!
    Me 38, DB 38. Unexplained infertility. TTC 3 years. 3 failed IUI's. IVF #1 5-20. 3 embies transferred day 3. First beta 5-31. BFN. IVF#2 ER 7-31. 3 embies transferred day 3. Beta 1=144. beta #2=527. beta#3 3027. US: 1 perfect heartbeat at 156!
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Sadly I have heard of some churches who wont baptise IVF babies due to them being an "abomination".  And I have heard of churches asking parents how they "got" their twins to find out if they are IVF or not.

Cant wait to cross that bridge, because I have a quick tongue and will have no problem telling a priest to go eff his mother if he ever calls my miracles a god damn abomination.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options

People suck! Plain and simple.

If God did not intend us to concieve through IFV why did he give us the brains and technology to make it happen. Just saying...

Oh and the large comment.. I've been getting those since I outed myself at work. Everyday someone tells me "How HUGE I look." Seriously??!!!

Lately it's been "So your due any day now right?" UMM..No.. another 6 weeks. "WOW that's one huge baby." Again, SERIOUSLY people??!!

I usually just smile and walk away.

{{HUGS}}

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagefabulouspinkmady:

Don't you just LOVE unsolicited advice/comments?

Regarding the "Abomination" lady... it's just sad that people have such narrow ways of thinking. It's so easy to judge having never been though IF. I guarantee that if IVF was her only option of conceiving a biological child, she'd be changing her mind pretty dang quick! Besides, it's none of her freaking business anyway, it's your body, your child, your life.

Regarding the grocery store lady, clearly a case of not thinking before speaking... or just being plain rude. You should have gone preggo crazy on her (or both of them) ;)

(((HUGS)))

I totally agree!  The people that say it's must not me God's will or "just adopt" have clearly never gone through something as heartbreaking as IF.

I'm lucky because my church is very open to any type of ART.  Someone at church once told me that If I had cancer, they would expect a Dr. to treat it, the same goes for IF.  If the technology is there, might as well use it.  What they said stuck with me I guess.

*Formerly peainthepod?* TTC since 1/1/2006. All cycles BFN! IUI's & IVF with no luck. Emergency surgery 11/07 due to hemmoraging cyst on left ovary. 3rd HSG showed complete blockage of right tube (the good side), endo/cysts/adhesion removal 11/11. New start for 2012! Surprise BFP 6/17/12, due 2/12/13. It's a boy!!! Baby Boy born on January 26, 2013. 
  • Options

The abomination comment is insane. My priest and his wife have been super supportive of us and our journey. They prayed with us and for us that IVF would be our long awaited answer to prayer.

Even Michelle Dugger did not bag on IVF just stating that it was clearly not something that she has dealt with or thought much about. Had she been in that situation it would have been something to prayerfully consider. 

As for the weird comments, I think every pregnant lady gets them. I got an "is it appropriate to ask how much weight have you put on so far" comment from a middle aged man in a workout that I coach this morning. I wanted to say, "your first instinct was correct, it isn't appropriate to ask". 

Hang in there! At least you ARE pregnant! Maybe you should wear headphones in public? There are some times when I'm tempted to do that so people don't talk to me.   

TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Options
    imageBlueyed228:

Sadly I have heard of some churches who wont baptise IVF babies due to them being an "abomination".  And I have heard of churches asking parents how they "got" their twins to find out if they are IVF or not.

Cant wait to cross that bridge, because I have a quick tongue and will have no problem telling a priest to go eff his mother if he ever calls my miracles a god damn abomination.

I never thought of this.  We have been planning to have LO baptized at DH's family church.  I'm not Catholic but DH's mom is pretty persuasive and the family priest is super nice and very forgiving .  Wow.  I guess MIL and I are going to have to talk about this and what she thinks. 

together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yikes, you've been getting all the crazies it seems!  I would let that tongue loose if you want to - sounds like they've earned it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ugh, so sorry you've had to deal with comments like that. I've been pretty lucky so far. But the abomination thing is something I don't think I will be able to handle. One of my best friends is a pretty strict catholic and I haven't told her we did IVF. I probably never will, to be honest, because I am a wuss and I have no idea how she views IVF. I don't want to lose the friendship over this but I know I can't be friends with someone who feels my baby is an abomination. I'm sure it will come up eventually and that makes me really nervous.

Plus, the whole abomination thing doesn't make sense anyway. Jesus wasn't conceived the traditional way either and he's not considered an abomination :)

• Options

Oh hell no! I would like to think I could have come up with something snarky on demand but in truth I probably just would have stood there dumbfounded.

Hell, I am single and did IVF. I should just punch my ticket straight to hell.  Or is it ok to do IVF if you are single? SInce you know, I wasn't whoring around Dallas. : )

Actually, I am Epsicopalian and we seem to be cool with alternative families. It's like being Catholic without all the hate and judgement. (No offense to Catholics - half my family is Catholic)

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options
    WOW keep me out of your area I think I would have flipped, nicely of course lol
    Confirmed Pregnancy 9/18/2010 M/C 10/27/2010 BLIGHTED OVUM 10/2011 - HSG 2 blocked tubes 11/4/2011 - Lap Surgery - Extensive tubal disease (tubes opened) 1/3/12 - Repeat HSG (L tube open, R tube blocked) 1/15/12 - R tube removed Started Stim Injections 2/17/12 Follistim 300iu and Low Dose HCG 10 units Trigger - 2/25/12 ER 2/27/12 ET - 5 dt - 3/3/12 1 blast transferred 9 frosties BETA #1 - 626 :) Beta #2 - 2470 :) Beta #3 - 5470 3/29/12 - 6wks 3 days - no yolk sac, embie, or hb :( Blighted Ovum 8/3/12 - FET #1 1 flickering blast transferred 8/9/12 - POAS + 8/15/12 - Beta #1 1400 Beta #2 3200 8/20/12 - U/S 5 wks 1 day Yolk Sac seen 8/28/12 - 6wks 2 days - Heartbeat 116 9/4/12 - 7wks 3 days - HB 136 YAY! TEAM BLUE! Alex was born 4/15/13 5:09pm 6lb 10oz 20in!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    unbelievable!  I can see how it would be hard to understand if you're a fertile myrtle, but have some decency and hold your tongue!  Ugh!
    TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"