Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Anyone raising kids vegetarian?

I was wondering if anyone on here is raising their kids vegetarian.  I realized that I kindof am by default.  I just don't eat much meat, and I realized that in the last 2 weeks DS has had meat only once, maybe twice, and only a bite at each take.  I just wondered what, if any, nutrients that I have to be SURE that he's getting.  He eats yogurt every morning along with a scrambled egg for breakfast.  He also drinks milk once or twice a day.  He eats beans every meal because he's in an "I want to feed myself ONLY phase" and he LOVES them... I get the canned organic kind, because I feel bad giving him too much out of a can. 

Anything else nutrient-wise I should be sure he's getting?  I'd be open to adding some meat but I just don't cook it much.  I'm not willing to give him cold cuts because of the salt and because we're trying to stay away from processed stuff, too.   

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...

Re: Anyone raising kids vegetarian?

• Options
    I'd make sure he's getting enough iron but if he's eating a lot of beans then he probably is. If he's eating eggs hes probably getting enough protein too.

You could always make some chicken noodle soup with plenty of vegetables.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • Options
    Not raising them vegetarian, but both boys rarely eat any meat and they don't like eggs for some reason.  I started when they were over the oatmeal/fruit/yogurt breakfast - around 12 or 13 months - to try putting peanut butter on wheat crackers or wheat toast and they loved it, that is what they have been eating for breakfast almost every morning (except when we get mcdonalds pancakes once in awhile).  Their ped dr said peanut butter is a great meat alternative and to try hummus also (not so much luck with the hummus yet).  Obviously only if they don't have nut or wheat allergies, but they are both healthy and still prefer this as their daily breakfast and snack.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    you could also add in some edamame, my boys love it! Its easy to cook and good finger food for them and super super healthy! DH & are raising our twins vegetarian (like us) they eat cubes of tofu like its a dessert, lots of greens, beans, lentils are a great source of iron, healthy dairy products, and hummus to name a few things.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am basically raising my DD as well, but it's not intentional. I was a vegetarian for 7 years and have never really been that into meat. DD is also very picky. She won't eat hamburger or anything, but likes dark meat chicken that has been boiled. Like last night, I made chicken and dumplings and she will really only eat the plain chicken that I set aside for her and doesn't really like it once it's covered in the creamy soup. I'd say she eats any meat AT ALL about once a week. But, she does eat a lot of protein. In the morning she eats about 1 1/2 large scrambled eggs with banana and cheerios. At lunch, she eats a whole wheat tortilla with beans spread on it and cheese that been heated up. At dinner, she eats a PB&J (real fruit jelly and whole wheat bread). She like fruit and eat lots of that, but doesn't care for veggies most of the time. She also has about 20oz. of milk spread throughout the day as about 4-5 sippy cups. I need to give her her vitamins more often because of her lack of veggies, but otherwise I'm not really concerned. P.S. she hates being spoon fed, so I'm not doing that so I can get veggies and meat down her. DD does like lunch meat, but I know this just cause I gave it to her to see if she would like it. You are not supposed to let them eat these processed meats more than once a month, if at all (that includes bacon, sausage, etc.). I think (and you might try it) to boil some dark meat chicken and keep that on hand for the week to give to you LO as is (it should be good for about 3 days after you cook it). I just like to buy a package of chicken thighs..it's cheap and easy (put it in a pot, bring to a boil...cover with lid and simmer for 2 hours and it's done!). I think dark meat chicken is easier for DD to eat since it's more juicy). Anyone, try tofu yet? (I heard to stay away from it until LO is at least one-year)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"