August 2011 Moms
Options

Dinner Ideas

DS is allergic to tomatoes, and I'm not going to even go in to how much I LOVE tomatoes......

So I need some dinner ideas that don't include tomatoes or tomato products ie ketchup etc. Adding them at the table is an option, but DS wants to eat exactly what DH and I are eating so that does make it a bit more difficult. 

DH and I consider ourselves foodies, love to try new foods, and aren't in to processed foods like hot dogs, chicken nuggets etc.  And DS isn't either Stick out tongue  I tried feeding him a can of soup for dinner and he would spit it out.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dinner Ideas

• Options

Hmmm...

Are you looking for quick meals, or more elaborate recipes? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Chicken, Spinach, Artichoke bake 

Package of cooked pasta (Rigatoni or similar)

1-2 8 oz container of Chive and Onion cream cheese

Cooked cubed chicken

Italian diced tomoatoes (You would sadly omit these. Maybe replace with sundried tomatoes?)

Frozen spinach, thawed and drained

Artichokes

1 Cup of onions (I usually use less than a cup and saute them before putting into casserole)

8 oz of shredded mozzarella cheese

Combine all the ingredients but the mozzarella and mix well into an 11 x 13 baking dish. Cover with cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees covered for 30 minutes, uncover and bake until cheese is baked.  

I also freeze this casserole, if you bake it frozen it will take closer to an hour to bake fully.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:

Hmmm...

Are you looking for quick meals, or more elaborate recipes? 

Either, quick meals would be fabulous for weeknights, but I can do elaborate ones on the weekends.  

• Options
    imageamywalt1684:

Cooked cubed chicken

Italian diced tomoatoes (You would sadly omit these. Maybe replace with sundried tomatoes?)

Artichokes

1 Cup of onions (I usually use less than a cup and saute them before putting into casserole)

Combine all the ingredients but the mozzarella and mix well into an 11 x 13 baking dish. Cover with cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees covered for 30 minutes, uncover and bake until cheese is baked.  

I also freeze this casserole, if you bake it frozen it will take closer to an hour to bake fully.

Unfortunately we can't do any tomatoes in what he eats.  We made the mistake of putting a TINY amount of BBQ sauce (which has only a small amount of tomato) on his chicken last weekend, most of it was wiped off, but we were still up half the night with him screaming in pain Sad  

• Options
    what a NIGHTMARE allergy. i don't have a recipe to share, just wanted you to know you have my sympathy!
    imageimage
  • Options
    image+Jasha+:
    imageamywalt1684:

Cooked cubed chicken

Artichokes

Unfortunately we can't do any tomatoes in what he eats.  We made the mistake of putting a TINY amount of BBQ sauce (which has only a small amount of tomato) on his chicken last weekend, most of it was wiped off, but we were still up half the night with him screaming in pain Sad  

Yeah, I'm an idiot. LOL... Apparently my brain doesn't process sundried tomatoes as tomatoes. You could probably still make this minus all the tomatoes.

Poor little guy. I can't imagine cooking without tomatoes, that is hard to do!

• Options

imageMrs Case:
    what a NIGHTMARE allergy. i don't have a recipe to share, just wanted you to know you have my sympathy!

Thanks!  Yeah it sucks BIG time.  I'm hoping that he outgrows it.  We noticed it around 9-10 months and when I talked with his pedi about it at his 12 mo appt, she said to try again in a month, and if he was still not tolerating them to try again a year later.  Fingers crossed that he outgrows it at a year, because it sucks!

Thanks AmyWalt!  I will have to try it without the tomatoes, I have a spinach artichoke dip that DH and I LOVE so this might be a nice spin on that.

• Options

Here's a few things I like to keep in the freezer at all time for those nights where I'm in a rush and have no idea what to make:

Chicken pot pie
    Shepherd's pie
    Beef stew

Quick go-to recipes;
    Creamy chicken. You brown pieces of chicken (personally, I do cubes, but strips or even whole breasts would work just fine), you sautee some veggies, combine it all and add some cream and then let it all simmer for a few minutes. Personally, I like to throw artichoke hearts into the mix, along with parmesan cheese and/or black olives.

Asian-style soup. You heat chicken or beef broth and then everyone throws whatever they like in their own bowl: bean sprouts (DD2 loves those), thinly sliced carrot and cucumber, mint, coriander, fondue-type beef , etc.

Stuffed pork tenderloin  - You slice it open (but not completely, so that it opens like a book) and you stuff it with whatever you like. I usually combine cheese and fruit (like brie with pear, for instance), and sometimes will add pine nuts to the mix, too. Then you close it up (toothpicks work fine) and throw it in the oven for something like 20 minutes at 350.

Also, have you ever made latke's? SO yummy (they do require a bit of prep work - not a lot, but enough that they're not a good idea if you're in a rush) This is not the recipe I make, but it's pretty close. You can throw in sweet potato or any type of squash, too. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Potato-Latkes-104406

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks M&MHa!!  I will definitely add those into my rotation!
  • Options

image+Jasha+:
    Thanks M&MHa!!  I will definitely add those into my rotation!

You're welcome - I know they're not "real" recipes, but that's what makes them so convenient in my opinion. I hardly ever make an actual recipe because reading through them and then measuring everything is such a PITA. 

• Options
    Eh, to me it's a recipe as long as it lists the ingredients and gives an idea of how much of everything to use.  I love to cook so I tend to just throw things in too!  It drives DH nuts, because he's a "measure this exact amount an only this amount" type person.  LOL 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"