C-sections
Options

For those who chose a RCS?

I had an emergency c-section with my daughter and have always planned on doing a VBAC. My OB is pro-VBAC and she said my scars look good, and due to the nature of my previous c-section (went into labor, had an epi, then pitocin, baby never dropped, she was in distress, got rushed in for the c-section) I would be a good candidate for VBAC.

Now I am rethinking that decision. I hate how having that surgery is making me second guess having a natural birth, and if I hadn't had the c/s it wouldn't even be an issue. But I'm scared to death of pushing a baby out. I know I can trust my body to do what it needs to do, but I remember the contraction pains, (I had bowel pains so bad the other night trying to poo, and I had to think to myself, if I'm having trouble handling this, holy h@ll I'm in for it when this baby is due!) and what if something goes wrong and I wind up having another emergency c-section anyway? I don't think I'd feel like a failure, but more that I would have wasted my energy if I wind up with the surgery after trying to labor naturally.

The problem is that everything is so unknown right now! My FI's family has a history of very large babies (I'm only 4'10", my ex was short as well and my DD was only 5lb 9oz full term), it could be breech, I could not progress, it could not drop like my daughter... SO many things are going through my head, and I know they're all "what ifs" but today I am just stressing about it for some reason.

So for those who chose to have a RCS, what were the deciding factors that made you choose a RCS over a VBAC?

OMG too many tickers...
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: For those who chose a RCS?

• Options
    When I first got pregnant again I was leaning towards a v-bac but then as I approached my 2nd tri I changed my mind.  I talked to my H about it and we decided together that it seemed like the safer, more controlled option for ME.  My previoud c/s was due to pre-e and I knew there was a good chance I would end up with a c/s again because I was at risk for getting it again.  We were concerned about the risks and decided a controlled c/s was a good decision for us.  As it would be, I didn't develop pre-e again and probably could have had a successful v-bac but I did like the planned c/s for making plans for my DD and knowing when he would arrive.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options
    I am going to have a RCS.  1st pregnancy was in labor a for 2 days before I was admitted and only because my water broke. My body just wasn't doing what it needed to do before my LO went into distress and they had to do an emergency  c-section.  After all was said and done my Doctor tells me they never thought I was going to be able to have a vaginal delivery anyways.  I couldn't believe I went through all that pain from contractions when they didn't think I would be able to deliver anyways.  It was discussed while I was still in the hospital with #1 that a RCS would be best next time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

For what it is worth, I felt the exact same way and chose to VBAC.  I also knew that my choice might very well end in a csection, which it did.  I was disappointed that I didn't get the birth I wanted (and had complications including a cut bladder and what they thought was a uterine rupture) but I was glad that I tried.  I think for me if I had never tried I would have always wondered.  Also, what happened with my first birth happened with my second birth which caused the csection.  So in a way it also validated my first csection.

You have to be at peace with whatever decision you make.  I know I had a freak out at 32 weeks and scheduled a csection.  Then I decided I would try to VBAC and know that the csection was a strong possibility.  Once I committed to that I felt better.

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I was a good VBAC candidate but chose an RCS.  If I had attempted a VBAC, I would have done so out of a sense of obligation, and I didn't think a sense of obligation would get me through labor, which was hell with DD.  It turned out that I went into labor spontaneously with #2 and from the few hours I experienced at the beginning, it wasn't nearly as bad as my labor with #1 (though I have no idea how far I progressed or how it would have turned out if I'd tried for a VBAC after all).  But still, I had a great RCS experience and have no regrets.  I think the only reason I'd care is if I wanted to have a large family - that was the only caveat my OBs mentioned when I decided on an RCS, but I don't think we'll have more than three kids, if that.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    Thank you for your responses, ladies. I know I have plenty of time to think about this, but I also know that the "day of reckoning" will be upon me all too soon! My FI is pushing for a RCS, so I guess just to butt heads I am trying to convince him a VBAC would be a better choice. But now I'm not sure. I guess I will just have to see how I really feel when the time gets closer.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am choosing RCS because my body did not go into labor naturally the first time so I figure why risk it and go thru it all over again, lets just get it done. 

With my daughter I was 10 days late, maxed out on pictocin for 23 hours to get fully dilated, then 3 hours of pushing and emergency c-section. I am excited that this time I don't have to go thru those 26 hours, have my surgery, hold my baby and recover. Done.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"