March 2012 Moms
Options

Sleep and Schedule all over the place (long)

need some advice: I have been so stressed out lately because I feel like DS is no longer on a schedule..his feedings, naps and sleep schedule are all over the place. I know there are many factors contributing to this, he started daycare a month ago, he has been teething badly, had an infection and a cold, we travelled to Nevada for one week, and we just transitioned him from PnP in our room to crib in his room...all within the month and a half.

I don't think he is drinking enough formula during the day...and normally he would drink a bottle at 530pm....then bedtime bottle at 830..then go to sleep for the night. BUT now, he gets home from daycare so tired. by 7pm he is ready for bed..but he is still drinking a bottle at 530-6pm...falls asleep at 7-730, then is up around 1-2am for bottle. I am having a difficult time adjusting to his schedule, and I feel like I am completely skipping a meal for him. what schedule are your LOs on?

DS no longer STTN and will only sleep in crib for half the night..wakes up cries...I try to let him CIO and wait to see if he falls back to sleep, but he just screams, and when I go in room to peek on him, he is standing in the crib, crying. I lay him down, pat his back, sing to him, eventually I have to rock him, he falls asleep...2 minutes after I lay him in crib he cries and is trying to crawl out.

He was in bassinet until about 5 months old, in our room, and STTN. We then transitioned him to crib, and he did good for about a week and a half. Then he was no longer STTN because of teething, then he had an ear infection; so during this time, we let him sleep with us, because all three of us were exhausted, and the only way we could get him to STTN was in bed with us. NOW I feel like I have started something that is going to be really difficult to break! =( The second I move him to bed with us, he falls asleep just fine...but if I try the crib, he wakes up crying.

Any suggestions on how I should go about getting him to STTN in the crib, to make him feel comfortable in the crib? This constant waking up at night and spending 30minutes trying to get him back to sleep in crib is killer..DH and I are so exhausted.

And how much formula and solids are your LOs eating right now? Sorry this is so long..I just feel a little defeated and lost....I can't adjust to what he wants and needs lately.

thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage

Re: Sleep and Schedule all over the place (long)

• Options
    Just a couple thoughts..
    Can you fit in one more bottle or a bigger bottle before bed? Dd is on the small side but drinks 5 oz BM at 545 then 6 oz at 7 right before bed. During the day her other bottles are 3 4 hrs apart.

Do you have room in your bedroom for the crib? Could you try putting dc in the crib in your room for a week to get use to sleeping in it and then move it back into the nursery?

Dd has been sleeping 1112 hrs at night and just had a random unexplained episode 2 nights in a row of waking every 2 hrs. It was absolutely exhausting. I totally sympathize with sleep trouble.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Oh and when dd started daycare we went through a period of time where she was a monster when she got home because she would not nap at daycare still doesn't. Life got a lot better for all of us when we put a super consistent routine in place. Now dd gets her 545 bottle at daycare, naps on the way home, then a little playtime, container of fruit or veggie, bath, bottle and bed. She gets a bath every night but only gets washed every other night. The warm bath helps her ease into sleep.
    image image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMrsJetSet:
    Oh and when dd started daycare we went through a period of time where she was a monster when she got home because she would not nap at daycare still doesn't. Life got a lot better for all of us when we put a super consistent routine in place. Now dd gets her 545 bottle at daycare, naps on the way home, then a little playtime, container of fruit or veggie, bath, bottle and bed. She gets a bath every night but only gets washed every other night. The warm bath helps her ease into sleep.

i am definitely hoping in the next month we can get a better routine going with daycare. I definitely have been doing a bedtime routine..bath, story, and bottle, then sleep..sometimes he takes bottle..sometimes he doesnt. 

DS does not nap much a daycare either...2- 30min naps. Do you give daycare a schedule for them to keep your DD on for feedings? or do they just follow her cues?

• Options

My DD has been crazy lately too. Her sleep patterns are all messed up, she definitely isn't eating or sleeping enough and as a result seems weepier and sensitive. :( It stinks because she was doing so well.

No ideas, just wanted you to know someone else was in the same boat. 

• Options
    imageBellaOso:

My DD has been crazy lately too. Her sleep patterns are all messed up, she definitely isn't eating or sleeping enough and as a result seems weepier and sensitive. :( It stinks because she was doing so well.

No ideas, just wanted you to know someone else was in the same boat. 

thanks! yea I just feel like I am trying everything..he refusing bottle...so I give him formula mixed with cereal and spoon feed it to him....I am trying so hard to get him on a schedule..I know there is not exact schedule..but some consistency would be nice...and STTN again.

• Options
    I tried giving them a schedule and it just resulted in a lot of frustration. Now they just follow her cues. I feed her early am then they do oatmeal, bottle, fruit or veggie, bottle, bottle, bottle. She is a very nosy Nancy and doesn't want to miss anything so she refuses to nap. She gets about 45 min of sleep from 86 :
    image image

• Options

So sorry that you are dealing with this!  I have no advice, just sympathy.  I'm in a very similar situation.  DS was almost STTN (he'd wake up once to eat, but go right back to sleep) and in the last couple of weeks he has started waking up a TON and being awake for long stretches at night.  He'll fall asleep and then as soon as I go to lay him back down in the crib, he wakes right back up.  Working off of 4 hours of sleep today..

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Options

imageMrsJetSet:
    I tried giving them a schedule and it just resulted in a lot of frustration. Now they just follow her cues. I feed her early am then they do oatmeal, bottle, fruit or veggie, bottle, bottle, bottle. She is a very nosy Nancy and doesn't want to miss anything so she refuses to nap. She gets about 45 min of sleep from 86 :

that is what I figured would happen, so i didn't want to give them a schedule to go by. So they just follow his cue. But sometimes he is refusing to take a bottle, and completely skips a bottle feeding. He eats all his solids.

Jonathan is a nosy butt too! has to see everything

• Options
    imageKrsCrp83:

So sorry that you are dealing with this!  I have no advice, just sympathy.  I'm in a very similar situation.  DS was almost STTN (he'd wake up once to eat, but go right back to sleep) and in the last couple of weeks he has started waking up a TON and being awake for long stretches at night.  He'll fall asleep and then as soon as I go to lay him back down in the crib, he wakes right back up.  Working off of 4 hours of sleep today..

same here! it's no fun. Jonathan was awake last night from 1245 to 230am!! he wasn't crying for most of it...DH and I did everything imaginable...bottle..diaper change...Tylenol for teething pain..I was about to put him in the tub for 5 min and let him play in the water..we took turns rocking him...he fall asleep, second we put him in crib he woke up. Finally said this sucks, layed him in bed..and little stinker fell asleep within seconds and slept until 630am..which is when we leave for DC. We have had multiple nights like this...I am so exhausted

• Options
    DS just started with the attachment and separation issues. He always fell asleep on me and then let me put him in his crib and didn't fuss. For the last week he has been popping his head back up and immediately crying. I picked him back up every time for a while and then got so frustrated with that bc it would just happen again once I tried putting him down. I recently started letting him cry after I put him down. He got the hint and it usually out after 10 to 15 minutes. I don't like hearing him cry, but of he doesn't nap he is a monster! I have been doing the same at bed time and he is usually out with in 5 minutes. I would just keep what you doing and be consistent with it. If you change something else now, it may just add to it! Good luck, you are not alone!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageMrs MoJoRisin:
    DS just started with the attachment and separation issues. He always fell asleep on me and then let me put him in his crib and didn't fuss. For the last week he has been popping his head back up and immediately crying. I picked him back up every time for a while and then got so frustrated with that bc it would just happen again once I tried putting him down. I recently started letting him cry after I put him down. He got the hint and it usually out after 10 to 15 minutes. I don't like hearing him cry, but of he doesn't nap he is a monster! I have been doing the same at bed time and he is usually out with in 5 minutes. I would just keep what you doing and be consistent with it. If you change something else now, it may just add to it! Good luck, you are not alone!

thanks! i was starting to think that i was doing something wrong.

• Options
    imageExcited30:
    imageMariJ1008:

imageMrs MoJoRisin:

Hey there:)  I certainly hope that what I typed in my post below didn't give you the impression that I think you were doing something wrong, or are a "bad mom" or something like that.  That's not where my mind is at at all..I read your post and was honestly just typing what I do differently, thinking that you can pick and choose what you want (if anything) to apply differently.  There are so many ways to raise a child/bedtimes included and I think you are a great mom.  Sorry if I failed to encourage you in my post..totally nothing negative intended on my part.

oh my...no you didn't make me feel like at all. i was telling DH last night..what am I doing wrong..felt like I had right for awhile and now everything is just all over the place.

i really do appreciate the advice and suggestions...because last night I just felt defeated...so honestly thank you everyone

• Options
    imageMariJ1008:
    imageExcited30:
    imageMariJ1008:

imageMrs MoJoRisin:

Hey there:)  I certainly hope that what I typed in my post below didn't give you the impression that I think you were doing something wrong, or are a "bad mom" or something like that.  That's not where my mind is at at all..I read your post and was honestly just typing what I do differently, thinking that you can pick and choose what you want (if anything) to apply differently.  There are so many ways to raise a child/bedtimes included and I think you are a great mom.  Sorry if I failed to encourage you in my post..totally nothing negative intended on my part.

oh my...no you didn't make me feel like at all. i was telling DH last night..what am I doing wrong..felt like I had right for awhile and now everything is just all over the place.

i really do appreciate the advice and suggestions...because last night I just felt defeated...so honestly thank you everyone

it's nice to see what other moms are doing..and I do like your point about not taking her out of the room during nighttime hours..that makes sense. And I definitely think I am going to do that to, because I don't think DS is used to his room or knows his room to be a safe comfortable place. We are always in the basement, and he sleeps great in the PnP. Think just got to get him used to the crib.

it's also nice to see that I am not the only one having a difficult time with baby not STTN and refusing to eat sometimes.

• Options
    I rec dream feeding. We give k 3 oz weaning her at 1030
    Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
  • Options
    another sleepless night Crying
  • Options
    imageExcited30:

imageMariJ1008:
    another sleepless night Crying

*hugs* 

thanks! last night I was so exhausted..he fell asleep at 8pm, drank 6oz at 530pm had solids and then drank 4oz at 8pm...and passed out. midnight he was up crying and screaming...I gave teething tablets....rocked him to sleep..put in crib..five minute later..crying and screaming..I was to tired to even try and keep him crib...put him in bed with us..but that still didn't help. He cried most of the night, and was tossing and turning. Maybe it's teething?? I don't know. But I am so glad to be off work thursday through the weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"