Breastfeeding
Options

Engorged at night; help please

My LO is 6 weeks and has been sleeping long stretches at night. The past week, he's been going 7 or 8 hours between feedings. My breasts aren't adjusting well, and I wake up in the middle of his sleeping time engorged.

Last night I did a dream feed out of desperation which helped on one side but not so much on the other because he was too sleepy. I'm not sure if I should pump a little bit...? I don't want to accidentally boost my supply.

All advice and ideas are welcome. :] TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Engorged at night; help please

• Options
    Don't pump, it WILL figure itself out, I promise.
  • Options
    It always took me a few days to level out, assuming it becomes habit (which if it does I am SUPER jealous of you! :-) ). Do not pump, it will make it worse. If the pain was so great I couldn't think, I would hand compress a bit out to at least relieve the pressure. It's tough, but you should see feel relief in a few days.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I'll figure it out soon.

[and don't be too jealous; he won't nap for longer than 20 minutes during the day]

• Options
    I have the same problem. My baby was also sttn at 6 weeks. I didn't pump overnight and my supply plummeted. I hope that doesn't happen to you. I have since recovered it, but now I pump before going to bed and that seems to help. 
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"