High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD and now high blood pressure too :(

I am SO overwhelmed! I can't believe all of this is happening already, I'm not even 10 weeks.

At the OB today my pressure was 130/92 and they decided to send me for pre-eclampsia labs....what??? How can I be pre-eclamptic in my first trimester? 

I also picked up my glucometer and my testing strips...to the tune of 120 bucks. Apparently I have a 50 percent copay. This was for a 3 month supply.

Please tell me this is going to get better.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: GD and now high blood pressure too :(

• Options
    I dont know what test strips you use, but I found a $30 off coupon online for mine. I can use it once a month with my insurance. I use contour next. It's worth a try because they go so fast!
    SK
  • Options

I can't remember how much my meter cost but I bought it over the counter along with my lancets and strips.  My meter is compatible with the Target brand, Wal Mart brand and Kroger brand.  The lancets and strips are pretty affordable.  Don't be surprised if it doesn't last quite 3 months because you might end up using more than one strip per test every once in a while. 

Sorry about the high bp.  I developed hypertension at the end with DS and had GD too.  Worried about that happening this time around too.  It's good their being so proactive.  My OBs excused everything away and my bp was running at 180/110 some times.  Which just enraged me and I'm sure didn't help at all.  Did you have trace protein in your urine or any symptoms to go along with this like seeing floaters or having a headache?  Did they have you rest some and check again later in the appointment?  Some people have "white coat syndrome" and just get a little nervous at the doctor and their bp rises.  What is your usual bp?

Good luck, hope it's just a fluke!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    the first poster touched on this, but I want to encourage it..go to the website of whoever makes your meter and strips and see what you can find. I found a coupon that gives me 3 months of test strips for a $15 copay, whether I have insurance or not...they'd be $30 for a 1 month supply otherwise, so it's save me TONS of money in the past 6.5 months. If you can't find a discount on your strips, maybe you could look into getting a store brand meter and see if their test strips would be cheaper...all meters basically work the same, so no reason to use one with expensive strips when there are cheaper options out there..I had high(er) than normal BP during the first trimester, right after being diagnosed with GD, but it's calmed down and is normal to slightly below normal now, so if your pre-e test is negative, hopefully yours will level out too

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Options

Thanks ladies! I'll look into those store monitors! I had no idea they had them! To the pp that mentioned your meter being compatible with store brand strips- how do you find out if they are compatible? Does the package of strips state what's compatible and what's not?

I do think maybe the BP is high because of everything going on, but I've been diagnosed with high BP in the past and was on meds, but it "resolved" after I stopped working the midnight shift...but perhaps it has returned. I don't have my results yet, fingers crossed. I guess if it was anything terrible, I'd probably have heard by now.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Prayers are with you.  I am dealing with the same thing only I am 36 weeks.  I know how difficult it is to manage all of the complications.  Try your best to stay positive even though it seems impossible when you feel like you're caught up in a mess. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"