Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Progesterone (suppository) questions

Hi all. My doc put me on the progesterone suppositories on Friday. There was a huge snafu with the insurance but I think it's worked out for now... got a week's supply and am having the rest shipped to me. (They said they'd expedite so I'd get it by this Friday... we'll see)

I just had a couple of questions that I didn't think to ask the doctor because I was still so totally REELING from the shock that we had a heartbeat, and I was hoping some of you lovely ladies might know the answers!

How long were you on progesterone for? Is it something I'll be on all pregnancy? Until the end of 1st tri? 

(TMI warning) Since being on the progesterone my spotting has almost completely cleared up (coincidence or not, it is definitely an awesome thing) but I am having weird chunky white discharge. I know that sounds really gross. It doesn't smell or itch, otherwise I'd think yeast infection. Is it possible that it's something to do with the progesterone? Should I call the doctor?

Thank you all! I am trying to stay calm over here... I'm still totally terrified, hb or no, but trying to stay positive!

Re: Progesterone (suppository) questions

• Options
    Most OBs prescribe progesterone through week 10, some through week 12, at which point the placenta takes over.  White creamy or chunky discharge is totally normal (and totally gross and annoying).  It's the non-progesterone part of the suppository - basically, your body takes what it needs and discharges the rest.  Don't worry at all!  Glad the spotting stopped and best wishes for an uneventful and peaceful rest of your pregnancy.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I believe 10-12 weeks is the norm but check with you doctor as he may have other ideas. As for the discharge, totally normal! I would wear panty liners but at times it will be a lot of discharge. I was on crinone and that would also make your discharge different colors so don't be scared if its yellow, brown, orange, etc.

Congrats on seeing the heartbeat :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I took my progesterone for a little longer than most because I'm a paranoid freak and my OB let me take it until I felt comfortable coming off it. I went until 13wks3days but could have stopped as soon as week 10, per my doctor. The chunky white discharge is totally normal; it's just extra progesterone leaking out. Just make sure you get it up there as far as you can, but try not to irritate your cervix or vagina while inserting. Good luck, and enjoy the messy-yet-reassuring phase of progesterone suppositories that many of us know all too well.

Congrats on LO's heartbeat! What a huge step forward!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Congrats on a great U/S!! 

I will be on progesterone 11 weeks 1 day (Friday is my last day). My Ob said it was ok to stop at 11 weeks but each Ob is a bit different. Like PP mentioned, most say 10-12 weeks.  

Having some chunky discharge is pretty normal in the progesterone world. As long as it does not cause itching or have a bad odor, it should be ok.

Keep an eye for any urinary issues. I got a UTI recently thanks to these lovelies. 

I agree with the advise of trying to insert as deep as possible without hitting the cervix. It helps to decrease leakage a bit plus it also helped me not get burning around the urethra. 

Good luck!!!  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"