December 2010 Moms
Options

BCP = Weight gain?

Yes, I'm being a PW lately, sorry....I just started the pill b/c my stupid insurance only covers the pill or Depo, I really wanted an IUD. 

I swear after only 2 days, my belly is bloated like no other! 

Have any of you done Depo?  My NP seemed to try to talk me out of it b/c of side effects, but I just want something easy (I already messed up taking the pill at EXACTLY the same time today) with minimal side effects...and that my insurance covers.

Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BCP = Weight gain?

• Options
    You know Obamacare covers birth control now right!!!?  Seriously, I just got my Mirena 100% free, and I believe it also covers most pills plus the ring and a few others that need scripts.  It doesn't cover non-prescription stuff and you have to get the generic if available.  If you have an individual plan that I don't think the coverage starts until Jan 1st but for people that are on company plans then the coverage started in August.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    And I guess I could have answered your original question, but sure, some BCPs caused me to gain, some to lose, blech!  I asked my OB about Depo too and she said the people who love it really love it but that is her least satisfied group of birth control patients.  She basically, nicely, talked me out of it.  So far, so good on the Mirena.  I'm about 10 days out and cramps went away as of a couple days ago but still a bit of spotting (sorry, maybe TMI).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've heard nothing but bad things about Depo. I always took low dose BCP and I never noticed much weight gain. I did notice decreased sex drive and vaginal dryness though. I hate hormonal birth control. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I always had trouble with weight gain on the pill, but I took it for ten years anyhow!  Sometimes switching to a different brand helps.  My sister has had the bc implant in her arm now for five years and loves it... 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Really?  I am a teacher and my scripts  have tripled since last year. Generics even!  Obamacare doesn't cover squat for me?!?!  And yes.....weight gain on bcp stinks.  I am just very careful to eat healthy and exercise!
    imageimage
  • Options

imageshaw:
    Really?  I am a teacher and my scripts  have tripled since last year. Generics even!  Obamacare doesn't cover squat for me?!?!  And yes.....weight gain on bcp stinks.  I am just very careful to eat healthy and exercise!

That sucks!  I don't think they have a choice whether to cover it or not, but there are definitely some exclusions.  My insurance company has a bunch of documents on their website stating what is covered and what isn't so maybe see if your insurer has the same?   

• Options

imagelrn327:
    You know Obamacare covers birth control now right!!!?  Seriously, I just got my Mirena 100% free, and I believe it also covers most pills plus the ring and a few others that need scripts.  It doesn't cover non-prescription stuff and you have to get the generic if available.  If you have an individual plan that I don't think the coverage starts until Jan 1st but for people that are on company plans then the coverage started in August.

I called my insurance co before my appt and was told they DO NOT cover BC "devices".  As in, I'd have my $40 prescription copay even for the ring...and IUD isn't covered at all. I'm on a company plan, and I work for a hospital, so I'm curious about how this works for you?   It would be sweet, but I guess I'm just going to settle on some BCP for the time being.

Thanks for the info ladies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"