April 2012 Moms
Options

vbac next time?

So, for those of you who were on the boards over the summer, you may remember my epic rant about not recovering from my unexpected c-section (after high-risk pregnancy and foley bulb induction). My incision opened up, and I had an open wound down the muscle layer for 14 weeks (plus a staph/strep b infection), until I finally saw a reconstructive/plastic surgeon, who did a 2nd surgery on me to get rid of the seroma that was forming. My scar has FINALLY just now totally healed!

Basically, in a nutshell= rough pregnancy, 24 hour labor with failed epi and never dilated past 2 1/2 cm, unexpected c-section and hellacious "recovery".

Because of all of that, I am TERRIFIED of the idea of having a csection again.(And hubby and I still plan on having at least 1 more baby, possibly 2). Because of my crazy recovery complications, we can't even consider trying to get pregnant again until baby boy is at least 18 months (our medical advice was that we needed to wait at least a year from when I finally fully healed, since the wound was down to my muscle layer). My current ob practice doesn't consider Vbacs at all, because of the risks. The hospital I went to has one of the highest csection rates in my state. (All of this, I know NOW. Hindsight...)

I've been reading up on Vbacs, and I'm just torn as to whether or not to pursue one. I'd really like to. That would mean finding a new hospital (no problem) and a new practice (again, no problem; I don't think they handled my "recovery" well). However, since we're not really sure why my labor didn't work properly, I didn't dilate, and baby boy got stuck, there's a good chance the same could happen again. And in that case, supposedly, the risk of infection in a c-section after failed labor is greater than the risk in a planned re-csection.

I was induced with a foley bulb & pitocin at 39 w 2d because I had gestational diabetes (with insulin [although I controlled my diet really well; baby was 8 pounds even, and I only gained 18 pounds]. I also have a slight heart arrythmia, asthma, previous liver surgery, and no gallbladder. (All complicated my high risk status, but without having GD, I don't actually think I'd be termed high risk then). 

There's a good chance that I'll have gestational diabetes again next time though (I have a genetic "switch" that gets flipped on by the pregnancy hormones, basically), which would automatically make me high risk again. I don't know if there are any doctors that will allow a Vbac on a high-risk patient. Has anyone had success with this?  

I'm just so scared to have another c-section turn out like this one did, and I survived 24 hours of labor (on the max dose of pitocin for 18 of it, and a failed epidural!); I know I could do it again (or more, if I had to), as long as the baby would be ok.  

Any advice/success stories for me???? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: vbac next time?

• Options

Oh man what an ordeal!

First off, I would absolutely find another OB and hospital. That is really rare to happen and there must be surgeon error in there.

I had a induction my first pregnancy at 41 weeks for being postdates. I completely now believe that the induction was one of the reasons I had a c/s. Its common to have a higher c/s rate with an induction vs. going into labor on your own. I got stuck at 5 and DS had decels.

I went on to planning a VBAC this last time. My OB would let me got to 42 weeks this time (same practice as last time). I went into labor on my own at 41.2 weeks. Dilated on my own w/o pit or drugs and got to 9. At that point my OB broke my water and DS didn't move down anymore, coupled with his HR falling.

So I had another c/s. Do I regret my decision? 100% NO! I am so glad I tried to VBAC. Even though it wasn't successful, my recovery was way easier than my first, I believe its because he came when he was ready. 

Next time (we want 4 kids) I am hoping to try again, my OB said he would let me if everything lines up ok.

I would definitely recommend you go for a VBAC, become informed, find a great provider and hospital. Check out your local ICAN chapter if you have one in your area also the VBAC board is a wonderful resource. GL 

DS1 9.24.2010      DS2 4.18.2012        DS3 12.15.2013

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (fyXz)

Lilypie - (28Zf)

• Options

wow sorry you had to go through all that

i don't know much about vbacs but my mom had gestational diabetes and a vbac with my sister in 1990 when they were kind of new. I know it's possible!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I would find a new OB and hospital. I was high risk with type 1 diabetes, preterm labor, pre-eclampsia, along with other issues. I was also in labor for 24 hours with pitocin,  I ended up with an emergency c-section. While I did not have the recovery problems you had, my OB has encouraged me to try VBAC if that is what I want to do and I am planning on attempting VBAC with my next pregnancy.

I don't think you need to or should give up on this. Every pregnancy is so different.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had a great VBAC. I was low risk and went with a MW at a birth center. I would absolutely encourage you to find a new provider. You need someone that understands how real labor works and understands the natural alignment plateau. In other words someone who won't put you on the clock and expect you to progress at an hourly rate. A provider who let you go to 41 if not 42 weeks is also important.

I never would have thought a unmedicated birth was for me but since no one here will induce a VBAC or augment w/ pit I decided against an epi. I felt like it gave my body the best shot to do it if it could. My Bradley classes were really helpful in my preparations.

The VBAC board here on TB has a lot of great info and birth stories. GL! I'm sorry you recovery was so awful.

I'm over on the other board most of the time if you ever have any questions.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"