Baby Showers

What to put on a baby registry?

What items is it okay to ask for on a baby registry? It is my first pregnancy and i have someone who is throwing me a shower. I feel bad asking for more expensive items. What do yall think? What is acceptable to have on a registry?

Re: What to put on a baby registry?

• You can register for anything and everything, as long as there's a price variety.  A registry is a list of suggested items, people aren't bound by it, and they will buy you things you didn't register for.  If I saw a $400 crib on a registry, I wouldn't bat an eyelash, unless every other item was over $100, that would annoy me. 

Put everything on there and use the completion coupon to buy any necessities that your shower guests didn't purchase for you. You'll probably recieve gift cards as well, which you can combine on a purchase of a big ticket item.

I suggest searching around several stores including overstock and amazon for nursery furniture, you might score a much better deal than target/BRU.  If you find a great sale price on an item from your registry, buy it yourself and remove it from the list.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • image526SadieSadie:

You can register for anything and everything, as long as there's a price variety.  A registry is a list of suggested items, people aren't bound by it, and they will buy you things you didn't register for.  If I saw a $400 crib on a registry, I wouldn't bat an eyelash, unless every other item was over $100, that would annoy me. 

Put everything on there and use the completion coupon to buy any necessities that your shower guests didn't purchase for you. You'll probably recieve gift cards as well, which you can combine on a purchase of a big ticket item.

I suggest searching around several stores including overstock and amazon for nursery furniture, you might score a much better deal than target/BRU.  If you find a great sale price on an item from your registry, buy it yourself and remove it from the list.

I agree witht his.  Keep in mind that some people might want to go in together and purchase a more expensive gift.  I had family do that for a couple of things.

• Loading the player...
  • I put everything from pacifiers to swings and strollers on mine.  Like the PP said, anything you think you're going to need and have a good variety in price. 

• I like the standard rule of only registering for things you would actually buy yourself. Be practical, you will thank yourself later.

Try having a variety of prices throughout your registry and you should be fine. Most of the "big" items on our registry were went on by multiple guests which made me feel much better about it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I definitely agree about adding gifts with various price points. For the big items like the stroller or crib, we made Cash Gifts Funds for them with MyRegistry.com so multiple people can contribute towards purchasing the bigger gifts.
  • I would put down anything you would plan on buying if you were not having a shower, expensive or not.  If the store has a completion discount, that will help to purchase everything else you need.

On a side note....Is it normal to put things on a baby registry like a digital camera, memory card, huge amounts of bath salts (18 lbs total!)?   A shower I have been invited to the girl registered for things like this.  I thought it was odd.

• I think anything that you would purchase for yourself, that's clearly baby-related (i.e. not a new camera), and can be used in the first year or two are appropriate.  As PPs mentioned, I wouldn't hesitate to include big ticket items, as some people like to go in on group gifts, and there are plenty of items at lower price points (bottles, pacis, bath stuff, etc.) that you should be able to have a good range of price points.

I only side-eye things that are more for the parents (cameras, adult-sized mattresses, etc. and things for big kids (bikes, video games, etc.). 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebrooke&ryan&baby:

I like the standard rule of only registering for things you would actually buy yourself. Be practical, you will thank yourself later.

Try having a variety of prices throughout your registry and you should be fine. Most of the "big" items on our registry were went on by multiple guests which made me feel much better about it.

I agree with this. I only put things on my registry that I intended on buying myself. I was really reluctant to put any of the larger items on there, but my MIL asked me to so they could purchase them.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • It is a benefit to put everything but clothes on it, as they are hard to find in store. If you check your registry often online at BRU they have a category of the sales that are going on regarding the items you choose. You also get a discount near your due date, but I am sure some things are excluded.

I put the furniture, which was bought and checked off before invites were sent out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"