Special Needs

Brushing Protocol worth the time?

Sorry for the multiple questions this morning. I woke up on the problemsolving side of the bed.

DS ASD, 2.5 has been in OT for about 5 months now, and she's big on the brushing protocol for his sensory issues. We've been doing it about 3x per day, and while I have seen improvement overall, I'm not sure it's the brushing that's doing it. I've also not seen any studies that show it to be effective. I do respect and like his OT, and she connects well with him, but I want to be sure we're using our precious time well on things that will help him.

Not sure what I'm asking....but if anyone has any info, I'd be grateful.

Re: Brushing Protocol worth the time?

• We do this protocol with DS. When he was younger and going to private OT, she had us try the protocol and do the brushing w/joint compressions every 2.5 hours for two weeks. At that time, we didn't notice any change. DS had just turned 2. He also didn't have a ton of sensory issues at that time. Fast forward to 9 months ago when DS started in an intensive autism day treatment program and he started becoming more aware of his surroundings and having a lot more sensory awareness and sensitivites the brushing has helped a TON! We have also used the brushing before a task like putting on long sleeves or jackets with compressions to help him tolerate it and he has slowly accepted it and doesn't need the brushing now.

I think it's worth giving it a try and if you've noticed an improvement, keep it up. I know initially it's very time consuming, but eventually you can put more time inbetween brushing sessions.

Good luck!!

• d.fd.f member
    We brush/joint compress at least twice a day. In the morning and before bed. DS's OT said do it at those times and any other time is gravy. So we're not following the every 2 hour protocol.

I think it helps him selfregulate, along with other sensory diet activities.  Right now something, or everything, is working so I'm not willing to rock the boat.

DS 09/2008

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"