Late Term and Child Loss

rainbow baby?

I've noticed a lot of you that are now pregnant refer to this baby as your "rainbow baby", can you please tell me why? I want to understand why that term.

Re: rainbow baby?

• I am on my phone so I can't copy and paste the real explanation but basically the rainbow is the beauty that comes after a terrible storm. Just because it arrives doesn't mean the storm never happened or will be forgotten. So a rainbow baby is one that comes after a loss. There is a much more eloquent explanation that hopefully someone will post.
    A lesser used term is a sunshine baby. That is a child who came before your loss, one that continues to shine for you on your darkest days.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

***Congratulations to my TTCAL buddy Roxyttandme!! It's a GIRL!! Charlotte arrived on 9/29!!!!***
    PGaL/PAL Always Welcome!!
  • Thank you...tonight my Lillian took her last breath one month ago...I wish there were no such things as these 'storms'...

• Rainbow Babies" is the understanding that the beauty of a rainbow does not negate the ravages of the storm. When a rainbow appears, it doesn't mean the storm never happened or that the family is not still dealing with its aftermath. What it means is that something beautiful and full of light has appeared in the midst of the darkness and clouds. Storm clouds may still hover but the rainbow provides a counterbalance of color, energy and hope."

DS- Brenden born 11/13/93 Missed miscarriage on March 6, 2007 @ 9 weeks D&C on March 8th 2007. Riley Annalise born 2/25/08 ( 3 weeks early weighing 8 lbs 12.8 oz.) Chemical pregnancy 3/2010. Sydney Adriana born sleeping on 9/30/11 weighing 10lbs 3 oz at 38wks 4 days. Trinity Alivia born via c section at 36 wks 4 days weighing 9 lbs. 5.7 oz. She is our amazing rainbow baby!!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PGAL buddy drvst8
  • Siggy Warning!

Exactly as Heatherhah put it. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards