June 2012 Moms
Options

CIO

It's been awhile since I've been around, but loved reading everyone's posts while pregnant. Thought I'd stop back to ask about cry it out. Like the poster below, I'm having issues with people suggesting I just let the kiddo cry. What's everyone think about cry it out? When will you start if you plan to do it?

Re: CIO

• Options
    I am not doing CIO. I am not comfortable with it. I will start the no-cry baby solution soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    CIO does not fall into line with my parenting values so we don't do it. We are not sleep training right now, although he still wakes a few times at night to nurse (3-4x, genuinely hungry). If this is still what's going on in a few months we might consider some form of sleep training or night weaning, but it's not a problem for us right now. It is a personal decision and I would only do it if YOU feel comfortable with it, not because everyone is suggesting you do. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not comfortable with CIO, either. We don't need to worry about sleep training for night sleep, though. DS goes down easy.

For naps, though, DS sleeps on me. I've just started putting him in the crib, if he wakes and fusses, I watch on the monitor to see if he can manage getting back to sleep on his own. If it starts to escalate, I pick him up, get him back to sleep, and put him back in the crib. I only pursue it for the length of his normal nap.

I really can't imagine letting DS cry until it's clearly in response to a 'no,' or a tantrum or something.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with other posters, it's not for me.  I'm sure it works for some people but I'm not willing to do it.  I'll admit- I tried it one night (as per my mom and also our pediatrician) for ten minutes, it was awful!  Dd was a mess, she almost lost her breath...it was just horrible.  I'm currently reading about the no cry solution and plan to try that.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It's not something I am comfortable with doing. My DS is still not STTN. When he wakes he is genuinely hungry or his diaper is wet. He is trying to tell me something so I will not leave him to cry.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We started trying out CIO 2 days back as my son would wake up every 2 hour / 1.5 hours just to comfort nurse and sometimes actually hungry...plus he had milk every 2 hours during day too..Doc suggested trying some purees to make him fuller as milk didnt seem sufficient for him..

I didnt like CIO at all but my husband insisted and i am glad he did...we didn't do exact CIO but a combination of moving to solids and little CIO is helping us for now as he is sleeping much better..

here is what we did : 

Day 1 

gave him a good meal of banana mashed in breast milk in am time with breast feeding the other full time during day. At night he got up 3 times, when he went back to sleep 2 times ( once, after we let him cry a bit  and then my husband would keep patting him on his back till he feel asleep which was about a minute second time on his own after crying for 5 minutes)...the third time he was genuinely hungry, so i fed him and he slept back as soon as he was done drinking

Day 2

gave him a smaller meal of banana mashed in breast milk in am and then small amount rice cereal in pm with breast feeding at all other times...but just before he went to bed, he did a lot of poo poo...so when he got for 4 times, i fed him 2 times (assuming he had nothing in his stomach left because so much poo poo) and 2 times we patted back him to sleep after letting him crying for a bit.

Today is Day 3 ...Let's see how it goes...even though i start crying when my son cries but i think CIO method may really help us going ahead( even if we want to become a little more strict and let our baby cry longer)

Hope this will help you : ) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No CIO for us either, but I'm starting to get ready to do Ferber soon... I hope it works for us!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't do CIO but not because it doesn't subside with my values or anything. Frankly, I would lose my freaking mind.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you for all the posts! Nice to know I'm not alone in my resistance to CIO. Seems like everybody thinks I'm ridiculous for not doing it.
  • Options

A little late but wanted to give another perspective (I think anyway).  We are considering starting sleep training soon, either Ferber or another similar method.  I want to learn more about Sleep Easy.  Although methods like this involve going in to check on LO, they do not necessarily involve stopping her from crying so I consider it CIO.

The reason we are considering this is because DD has a terrible time going to sleep, even in our arms.  We often cannot get her to go to sleep without a great deal of crying even when we are holding her.  Once she is asleep, it is also very difficult to put her down without waking her up and she will often wake up 30-45 minutes later when she is transitioning between sleep cycles.  I also do not think it is ideal for her to wake up in a different place than she fell asleep and doesn't promote developing a healthy attitude toward sleep. 

We have tried several no cry methods and they do not seem to be working.  She will fall asleep on her own in her crib after her middle of the night feeding, but that's about the only time.  I am going to continue to try the no cry methods we are using (from good night sleep tight book) for at least another week or two and possibly longer but if things haven't improved, I will strongly consider a "CIO" sleep training method.  For some babies, this can eliminate their sleep issues in a matter of days whereas I have been trying for months to help DD to learn to go to sleep with only small successes.  I don't regret this because almost everything I have read has said that sleep training or CIO is not appropriate younger than 4 months and some say to wait until 6 months. I am starting to think though that I may have more success if I give DD some space to figure it out on her own. If I do decide to do it, I will closely follow an established method consistently because I think this is important and read as much in several places.

I understand not wanting to do CIO and think it should be a last resort but wanted to offer a perspective on why CIO might be in a child's best interest. 

• Options
    We're not doing CIO or sleep training with DS. He's a breastfed baby, so I assume he's genuinely hungry when he wakes up in the middle of the night and he goes back down pretty easy.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't understand the "no eye contact" part of the sleep training advice.  That's really where it loses me.  If my baby needs comfort and wants to look me in the eye, I'm not going to withhold eye contact.  That sounds like some weird psychological study from a previous century. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"