Preemies

BFing Mama's...? For a friend..

Hey there ladies. I also posted this on the BFing board but, I have a friend that is a first time mom and needs some advice. While she plans to speak with her Dr, she'd just like some input in the mean time.

Her son was born 5 weeks early, no NICU stay, no health problems. He is 6 weeks old and was 5lbs 3oz at birth and is now about 8lbs. He was diagnosed with Colic and Reflux and is on meds for the reflux.

Here lately he has become "agressive" while BFing. I mean, it's crazy. He's gumming really hard, sucking super hard and it's causing her a lot of pain. She knows she's producing enough and theres no problem with the flow because she also pumps. She said he's constantly hungry, which isnt the problem, its the fact that he's tearing her up when he eats. She wants to continue to EBF and wants to avoid supplimenting with formula.

She's been told to try adding a tiny bit of rice cereal to a pumped bottle, just to see if it would help. Her questions are,
1. Is he too young for this?
2. Would it interfere with BFing?
3. Would that even help? If not, are there any suggestions to help him be "less aggressive"?

TIA Ladies.
<3 *Evan Michael* <3
{06/15/2010 ~ 9lbs. 4oz, 22.5in.}
<3 *Twin Angel Babies* <3
{Said Goodbye on 08/13/2011 at 17w3d}
No longer TTC
*~Kisses to My Bestie Boo, ScrappyLika~*

Re: BFing Mama's...? For a friend..

• I can't answer the questions about the cereal but has she tried using a nipple shield? Also, DD was tongue tied not a premie thing and it caused a lot of issues with BFing as well as damage to my nipples. Getting her tongue clipped was super easy.

Edit. Retreading your post it doesn't sound like a TT. I have heard amber beads can help too with this issue.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hey Sully!! Babies go through a growth spurt at 6w old. Even though DS was born 5.5w early, he still hit his growth spurts on his actual, not adjuste age. It sounds like he's hungry honestly. The amount he eats will go up during that week. If I were here I would BF then offer a bottle of pumped BM after just to make sure he's getting enough.

DS has reflux and they made us try rice cereal first before we tried meds. From the issues you're listing, I don't think cereal would help, because it doesn't sound like a reflux problem.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"